Geforce 6600 NV43 Driver Question

Thread: Geforce 6600 NV43 Driver Question

Geforce 6600 NV43 Driver Question

Have fresh install of Slackware12.2 Have not started a gui on this install yet. Want to intall video driver first and need to know if Geforce 6600GT is a Legacy Card and if so which Slackbuild Legacy version 96.43.11 or 173.14.18?? Do I need. Thanks
    slackware12, xfce, PIII 600e, PC100, 640mb, SY6ba+IV - HPT366 mobo, 2 Seagate 160gb, cdrom, cdrw, 2floppy, ATI Agp32,YMF 724F snd.

I wouldn't think a 6600GT would be called a legacy card yet. Over at the nVidia site, where you find the driver downloads, there should be a link there to tell you which cards are supported by that particular driver.

I'm not familiar with the term "Slackbuild Legacy".

I just installed Slackware 13 64bit on a machine with a Q9650 quad core and onboard Georce 9400 graphics chip. Running KDE... I like it so far.
    -------------
    Folding is Fun

I thought I made a mistake once, but, of course, I was mistaken.

Here is the nvidia driver.

Thank you for the link... but i have tried all day to wget -r http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux_d...185.18.36.html
    And all i wind up with is a copy of the link... tried to curl an ftp link i found and wound up with empty none working file? Can you show me how to wget the pkg?

That link is just to the page where you can click a download button. The actual download is a different link. Have you tried just going to the web page and clicking on Download? (sorry, I'm not very familiar with wget.)

As a matter of fact, when I installed slackware 13, the X server would not start. So, from the command line I used the text browser, lynx, to go to nvidia and downloaded my driver from there. That downloads a .run file. You chmod +x that file and then run it, as root, with the sh command.
    Last edited by bs_texas; 10-12-2009 at 06:05 AM.
    -------------
    Folding is Fun

I thought I made a mistake once, but, of course, I was mistaken.

If you want to use wget here is the url, (don't use the quotes)

"http://us.download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86/185.18.36/NVIDIA-Linux-x86-185.18.36-pkg1.run"

just prefix this with wget and you should be fine, note: wget will place the file in the current working directory.

Edit: I should add after downloading, follow the last part of bs_texas #5 post

You chmod +x that file and then run it, as root, with the sh command.
    so

Code:
    wget http://us.download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86/185.18.36/NVIDIA-Linux-x86-185.18.36-pkg1.run
    then

Code:
    chmod +x Nvidia-file-name-here
    then

su to root

then

Code:
    sh Nvidia-file-name-here
    Last edited by mrrangerman43; 10-12-2009 at 07:34 AM. Reason: add info

Permission denied. Think i have to put wgetrc in /home/user/ and turn off passive ftp. I am able to get online with lynx and links. Well at least i know now I have a good link & stop spinning my wheels. Had tried that link before, permission denied bumkus!

Thank u so much... people keep giving me their old computers, so i figured out its best to install video driver, xorg.conf, then fire upX to avoid all kinds of error messages when u exit xfce. So I don't have gui yet on that box and i was able to download icewm frm slack builds with links but no luck w/nvidia.com Realized that site requires accepting a lic before downloading. i googled for ftp download link and wound up with a partially empty file? Pretty much given up and was looking for a basic tutorial to burn downloaded driver copy frm this box. Every little thing I need or have to do is a big learning project. At some point it has to become easier so i can do fun stuff like you guys. lol
    slackware12, xfce, PIII 600e, PC100, 640mb, SY6ba+IV - HPT366 mobo, 2 Seagate 160gb, cdrom, cdrw, 2floppy, ATI Agp32,YMF 724F snd.

cp wgetrc and turning passive ftp off and follow ftp links from Http did nothing. After config wgetrc i got 404 error i believe that is a "server not found". Cld this be a port issue on my isp gateway's portal? Bumkus back to copying the dwnloaded driver. *After i install video driver i will return to solve "wget bump in the road"... thanks
    Last edited by NightSky; 10-13-2009 at 01:40 PM.