Problems with dual boot, grub2 auto os prober

Thread: Problems with dual boot, grub2 auto os prober

Question Problems with dual boot, grub2 auto os prober

Problems with dual boot, grub2 auto os prober

Drive #1 (sda) Master CS Ubuntu 9.04 grub upgraded to grub2 version 1.96

Drive #2 (sdb) Slave CS Ubuntu 9.10 grub2 version 1.97 /boot is (sdb1) root is (sdb5) grub2 is installed in /boot (sdb1) and the mbr of (sdb)

Here is the problems
    I want to be able to boot drive #2 from drive #1 grub menu at boot time. I have run “update-grub” and it probes and finds (sdb5) and creates a new grub.cfg called grub.cfg.new in the /boot folder, but the new cfg file does not show (sdb5) or (sdb) it shows all other changes that I made such as splash screens and they are working. How do I get it to recognize drive #2 with Ubuntu 9.10. I can boot each drive independently of one another and I can boot 9.04 with 9.10 if I swap the drives around. And run “update-grub” The auto probe is working in the Ubuntu 9.10 and may be working partly in the 9.04.

This may or may not be a problem, but is a pain anyway. When I run “update-grub” in 9.04's grub version 1.96, it does not change anything in the current “grub.cfg” it does make a new file called “grub.cfg.new” I have to go into /boot/grub and change “grub.cfg” to old and change “grub.cfg.new” to “grub.cfg” I do not have this problem running the same command in Ubuntu 9.10's grub. It finds changes and os's and automatically updates the current “grub.cfg”
    any help or suggestions would be appreciated.
    Mel

Problem solved I added a entry in the /boot/grub/device.map file. the change was I added (hd1) /dev/hdb and reran update-grub it found everything and made a new grub.cfg all is fine and working.
    Mel

Welcome to Justlinux!
    Linux user started Jun 2004 - No. 361921
    Using a Linux live CD to clone XP
    To install Linux and keep Windows MBR untouched
    Adding extra Linux & Doing it in a lazy way
    A Grub menu booting 100+ systems & A "Howto" to install and boot 145 systems
    Just cloning tips Just booting tips A collection of booting tips

Judge asked Linux "You are being charged murdering Windoze by stabbing its heart with a weapon, what was it?" Replied Linux "A Live CD"