Open Source Monitoring and Overlapping IP Space

Thread: Open Source Monitoring and Overlapping IP Space

Open Source Monitoring and Overlapping IP Space

I'm faced with standing up an open source NMS and am deep into Zenoss Core. I'm evaluating distributed collectors that will be deployed behind a customer NAT/Firewall. Cool, this works. What if the customer IP space overlaps with an existing customer IP space? From a management perspective Zenoss distinguishes devices by IP. So it will refuse to add duplicate addresses. To get multi-realm IP functionality, It would require purchasing a subscription to enterprise license.

So my pickle, do I spend weeks or months hacking the Zenoss sub structure to duplicate that? Do I somehow remap the IPs through site to site VPN at the router? Or do I look for a different open source solution?

Does anyone know of an open source NMS solution that addresses overlapping IP space and can do distributed collectors? I have posted a question on Zabbix forums asking if the distributed monitoring they have will do this. But I hope that someone else has tackled this and succeeded.
    We all work for machines

it should be trivial with zabbix (if i understood the problem correctly).
    you would use proxies, and as zabbix won't limit you on ip addresses, simply making a host monitored by the remote proxy will make the proxy connect to that ip address on the network proxy resides on.

as an added bonus, zabbix is true opensource solution, not a fake one with useful features locked away in "professional" or "enterprise" versions

Quote Originally Posted by Radar View Post
    I'm faced with standing up an open source NMS and am deep into Zenoss Core. I'm evaluating distributed collectors that will be deployed behind a customer NAT/Firewall. Cool, this works. What if the customer IP space overlaps with an existing customer IP space? From a management perspective Zenoss distinguishes devices by IP. So it will refuse to add duplicate addresses. To get multi-realm IP functionality, It would require purchasing a subscription to enterprise license.

So my pickle, do I spend weeks or months hacking the Zenoss sub structure to duplicate that? Do I somehow remap the IPs through site to site VPN at the router? Or do I look for a different open source solution?

Does anyone know of an open source NMS solution that addresses overlapping IP space and can do distributed collectors? I have posted a question on Zabbix forums asking if the distributed monitoring they have will do this. But I hope that someone else has tackled this and succeeded.
    This is solved in Zenoss here:

http://www.netnea.com/cms/2013/09/02...h-zenoss-core/