How to get bluetooth audio to stop interferring with wifi?

Thread: How to get bluetooth audio to stop interferring with wifi?

How to get bluetooth audio to stop interferring with wifi?

I have my laptop running Ubuntu 10.04 LTS connected via builtin wifi. I bought a USB bluetooth adaptor and reroute the audio to a bluetooth receiver for my computer speakers. But when I play streaming music from Youtube or Pandora, the bluetooth degrades the wifi bandwidth so much that streaming is impossible due to constant pausing to buffer the audio. Streaming music works perfectly if I either switch audio to the headphone jack (making bluetooth unnecessary although it's still enabled), or if I plug in a cat5 ethernet cable (making wifi unnecessary although still enabled). This phenemena has been duplicated on another laptop with integrated wifi & bluetooth.

If you have control over the wireless router, I would try changing the channel it uses to see if that helps. The web interface for the router should have some way of doing that. It might get the wireless signal far enough away from the bluetooth one that they won't interfere with each other.

Bluetooth and WiFI basically operate over the same frequency spectrum. Bluetooth frequency hops but Wifi does not so changing channels as suggested might help. How strong is your WiFi signal? Do you have other 2.4GHz devices nearby like cordless phones etc. A stronger WiFi signal will help throughput too.