Joe Editor Questions

Thread: Joe Editor Questions

Joe Editor Questions

I have no need for word wrap for most of what I use JOE for. The man page and the HOWTO don't answer this question, so I'm wondering if it might be a bug. I'm running Joe 3.7.

--wordwrap in the joerc file does not work correctly. It works (built-in?) for .c files, and I can make it work for .pl files. But files with no extension? Forget it.

Without having to resort to the menu each time to turn it off, is there another way to disable word wrap?

Thanks.

This manpage appears to have an answer.
    "I was pulled over for speeding today. The officer said, "Don't you know
    the speed limit is 55 miles an hour?" And I said, "Yes, but I wasn't going
    to be out that long."

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
    COME VISIT ME IN RUSSIA NOW!!

Quote Originally Posted by JohnT View Post
    This manpage appears to have an answer.
    I realize this thread is a bit old but I couldn't help noticeing the OP did not get an answer to his question. My experience with Joe -- which I LOVE -- has always been that the only way I can turn wordwrap off when Joe starts is to make this alias and put it in your ~/.bashrc file:
    alias joe='joe --wordwrap'
    The manual is no help and niether is the ~/.joerc file. Hope this helps some of the Joe users.

Thanks for the replies.

alias j='joe --wordwrap' is exactly what I found to do, and it works great. Using your suggestion of aliasing joe looks better for the simple reason that I can continue to type "joe" as I've been doing for years. I, too, love this little editor. Quick, light, simple, and hauntingly like the old WordStar I started using in the late 80s!

And I'm glad you confirmed that the manual isn't any help. I thought it was me. I implement the commands/switches exactly as is written, to no avail. Ditto the .joerc file and the global joerc one which work for the most part but fail in instances like this.