Any program to paste the content of the clipboard?

Thread: Any program to paste the content of the clipboard?

Any program to paste the content of the clipboard?

Hi, I have a Linux machine at work. In Linux, copy and paste is pretty much normal like Windows. However, I have to work with a DOS based program and I frequently want to copy a line of text (like a phone number) and paste into the program's text box, but that program does not support it.

On windows, I can work around that by writing a simple script (exe) that sends the content of the clipboard when I hit a combination of hotkeys. So on Windows, I just runs that script in the background, copy a line of text from a website, click the mouse cursor into the program's textbox, and hit hotkeys like CTRL+V, and the script sends whatever that was copied into the textbox.

I don't know if such script can be written for Linux (or already existed). I hope if such script exists, it is stand alone without the need of installation and/or restarting the computer.

I am not familiar with Linux, so I am basically just comparing oranges and apples here, but I am really appreciative of any help you can give me. Thank you so much!

Quote Originally Posted by skelaxin View Post
    Hi, I have a Linux machine at work. In Linux, copy and paste is pretty much normal like Windows. However, I have to work with a DOS based program and I frequently want to copy a line of text (like a phone number) and paste into the program's text box, but that program does not support it.
    Are you running the DOS based application in a Virtual Box? Which DOS based application is it?
    "I was pulled over for speeding today. The officer said, "Don't you know
    the speed limit is 55 miles an hour?" And I said, "Yes, but I wasn't going
    to be out that long."

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
    COME VISIT ME IN RUSSIA NOW!!

My first suggestion would be middle click on the mouse (click the mouse wheel) although if you're doing something unusual that might not work. Just highlight the text you want to copy, select the text box you want to paste into, and middle click. The previously highlighted text should get pasted in. This functionality is built in to X, so in theory it should work in any application, but like I said there are a few cases where it doesn't.

Hi, thank you for your replies. I have to look up what virtualbox is, even though I have a feeling it is something that enables a program to run in a non-native operating system. As of now I am not sure. Anyways, the program is RX30, a pharmacy program http://www.rx30.com. The interface is DOS based.

The middle mouse button works everywhere on Linux except inside that program. Actually, copy and paste works everywhere in Windows except inside that program (we have the windows based computer, but I have to work at the Linux's one), that is why I have to write a script on Windows to enable pasting of the clipboard content.

As you can tell I am not very educated about Linux, but I am hoping to learn more as the days go...

Hi, I know that this is an old post but did you ever find a work around for the rx30 issue you were having? We have the same issue. I cant believe that we cant copy/paste!