Got a working VM, what should I do first.

Thread: Got a working VM, what should I do first.

Got a working VM, what should I do first.

Hello All-

So, I've been preaching Linux to friends for some time now. I've used random LiveCD's to rescue information for some, and demo the OS for others. But I have never been able to completely convert myself over.

I have a working Ubuntu VM on my current Windows 7 machine. My goal is to learn enough to eventually completely convert to Linux. I'd like to also know it well enough to claim it as knowledge in future career development (working on CCNA and a few other things)

What should I do first? Shell scripting? Package management? I'll start by using the "How to succeed with Linux" thread here as an outline. Are there any ideas or suggestions other than that and jumping into the How-to guides?
    Chad Burrell

My experience was to dual boot for a period, perhaps 6mo or less. Then I just went cold turkey. This was like 10 years ago. I never focused on anything in particular. I just went and learned what I needed to based on whatever hiccup I experienced that day. I think you have a better chance of actually learning about Linux faster if you use a distro like Slackware or Debian than you will on Ubuntu. I learned more using Slackware than on any other distro. But I too use Ubuntu now. I think Ubuntu is great but I'm in usability mode now not learning mode. I don't have the same energy or time I did back then. IRC and Forums will be your friends as far as help and support goes. Just use it, then break it and figure out how to fix it and you will learn plenty.
    $whatis microsoft
    microsoft: nothing appropriate

Just start using it. Whenever you have a task, take a little time to figure out how do to it with a linux package. If you can't do a little web research, use windows if you have to, and come back to the problem later. One task at a time....

Yeah, just use it.

Did you ever ask what you should do first with Windows (or MAC)?

Yep, same here just use it.

Thanks all. Good point about asking what I should do first in Windows. Can't say I did.
    Chad Burrell

Quote Originally Posted by s0ldier93 View Post
    What should I do first?
    Slackware current (Dell Latitude D610)
    CentOS 5.2 (Servers)
    Registered Linux User # 375030

I can't really add much to what people have already said. But here is the way I did it.

For many many years I used linux just for my server o/s. I run lots of websites over the years and learned how to configure linux to run a webserver. For years this is as far as I went, staying with windows for my desktop os.

I then started dual booting but it never really got used much, I would end up just booting into windows and eventually nuking the linux partition, until a year later when I would repeat the whole process.

In the end the way I finally broke the cycle was to take the big step of installing JUST linux with no windows dual boot, forcing me to configure the distribution to do everything I need for my daily tasks.

I have not been running windows on my home pc's, for over two years, and have not had any problems with not having programs to do what I need.

The major hurdle really is for gamers and windows specific hardware. I dont really play any games, and all the hardware I use I have managed to get working with linux.
    OssT - Torrents for Open Source Software
    We mirror Terabytes worth of data and offer it as downloadable torrents seeded by our 100mbps servers.