Learning LINUX

Thread: Learning LINUX

Cool Learning LINUX

Good evening...not being really "new" to world of PC's I still need help in learning LINUX, specifically Ubuntu. Heard it was killer and want to try something new. Problem is heard you better know your way around pretty good or else gonna screw-up BIG TIME. Where does one go to learn this OS so I DON'T screw-up?

Qball263,

Welcome to Justlinux!

Learning Linux is dead simple.

Just download any distro you fancy or as many as you like. Burn the distro into a CD and run it as a Live CD.

A Linux Live CD is a Linux that does not need installation and run entirely from a CD.

You can try it. If you like it then you can install it as an installed version runs a lot faster.

Nobody can screw-up a PC with a Live CD if that doesn't install in the hard disk. If you power down the Linux will disappear completely.

You try to work with al your files in the Windows drives, play games, watch video, listen to music etc no different from a MS Windows except you don't pay for the software and the machine is more verstile and powerful than before.
    Last edited by saikee; 05-25-2011 at 06:27 AM.
    Linux user started Jun 2004 - No. 361921
    Using a Linux live CD to clone XP
    To install Linux and keep Windows MBR untouched
    Adding extra Linux & Doing it in a lazy way
    A Grub menu booting 100+ systems & A "Howto" to install and boot 145 systems
    Just cloning tips Just booting tips A collection of booting tips

Judge asked Linux "You are being charged murdering Windoze by stabbing its heart with a weapon, what was it?" Replied Linux "A Live CD"

Just so you know, the latest Ubuntu bears absolutely no resemblance to previous Ubuntu versions and has a new, well, no other way to put is "stupidified" interface. I tried it and it is annoying to navigate (seriously, 6 mouse clicks to open a console). Finding apps was annoying and it took me about 10 minutes to find out how to "customize" the UI which offers a very meager offering. You would be better served running a live distro like Mint that used Gnome or Mandriva which uses KDE, then you can test drive the two major UIs.

I can see Ubuntu unity being prepped as a tablet UI, where it might be better but on the desktop, well, the test drive lasted 25 minutes. I was checking it out for people new to Linux to see if it was viable.

Hlrguy
    Were you a Windows expert the VERY first time you looked at a computer with Windows, or did it take a little time.....
    My Linux Blog
    Linux Native Replacements for Windows Programs
    Mandriva One on a "Vista Home Barely" T3640 E-Machine runs great.

basically go to Apps>All Apps>System>Login Screen.

select 'Ubuntu Classic'

...or something like that

but yeah for real...what were they thinking??
    Linux user #367409

Thanks for the info. I didn't dig deep to find it, I was really test driving for others. I could not get over how drab the desktop was. Even the icon set just said "Meh".

Hlrguy
    Were you a Windows expert the VERY first time you looked at a computer with Windows, or did it take a little time.....
    My Linux Blog
    Linux Native Replacements for Windows Programs
    Mandriva One on a "Vista Home Barely" T3640 E-Machine runs great.

have it a linux user manual in spanish?

Abra343 - are you asking a question?

If so - Google-> linux user manual in spanish