OpenSuSE 11.4 Grub 17 Error

Thread: OpenSuSE 11.4 Grub 17 Error

OpenSuSE 11.4 Grub 17 Error

I have tried PartedMagic to repair GRUB. Fail.

The system is OpenSuSE only, not dual boot. The primary drive is brand new and until this morning worked fine. I was in the middle of using my system when it locked up completely. Something it has never done before. Nothing worked, I couldn't SSH into it from my laptop, CTRL+F1 didn't get me to the command prompt, CTRL+SHIFT+SysRq wouldn't work. So I had to hard boot the system.

It came down and during the start up I got the GRUB 17 error message.

The set up is as follows:

SDA1 = / File System = ext4
    SDA3 = /Sys_Meters File System = ext4
    SDF1 = SWAP
    SDF2 = /BkUps File System = ext4
    MD0 = /home File System = REISER
    MD1 = /Specials File System = REISER
    MD2 = /VMWare File System = REISER

This is a 4 core 3.0GHz Intel CPU with 8GB RAM. It is a work system (no support from ITS as it runs Linux only) and has been reliable up until about 44 days ago when SDA failed and had to be replaced. And now the GRUB 17 error that I can't seem to figure out how to repair.

Ideas? I am close to re-installing the entire system just so I can get back to work and get my billing out the door. But I would much rather I fix the problem and not have to start all over.
    One by one the penguins steal my sanity...

Vanpooling now...

Okay... so I blasted the install. Re-installed after a complete format of the / partition. Even redid my partitions so as to have a specified /boot partition just for grub to reside on. Install went great then when I went to reboot after a complete after install update...

"GRUB loading stage1.5.

GRUB loading, please wait...
    Error 17"

So in other words I am stuck. Don't know what to do. All the help I have found so far points to dual boot systems. Any ideas?
    One by one the penguins steal my sanity...

Vanpooling now...

According to GNU/Grub 0.97 manual
    Code:
    17 : Cannot mount selected partition
        This error is returned if the partition requested exists, but the filesystem type cannot be recognized by GRUB.
    My guess is Grub not booting the correct partition. This could be caused by your hard boot mis-arranging the boot disk order.

To investigate you can press "c" key and drop into a Grub prompt and then issue these commands
    Code:
    geometry (hd0)
    geometry (hd1)
    If your disk order is correct then (hd0) should show up two partitions both Type 83 whereas (hd1) will have Type 82 in partition 0 because it is a swap.

Can you confirm if (hd0) is your sda?

Can you post here the output of
    Code:
    su
    fdisk -l
    say using a Live CD
    Linux user started Jun 2004 - No. 361921
    Using a Linux live CD to clone XP
    To install Linux and keep Windows MBR untouched
    Adding extra Linux & Doing it in a lazy way
    A Grub menu booting 100+ systems & A "Howto" to install and boot 145 systems
    Just cloning tips Just booting tips A collection of booting tips

Judge asked Linux "You are being charged murdering Windoze by stabbing its heart with a weapon, what was it?" Replied Linux "A Live CD"