Why does my login expire?

Thread: Why does my login expire?

Why does my login expire?

This has happened before. I just spent an hour editing my post, clicked SAVE and I was told "You don't have permission to do this. Please login and post again." I hit the back arrow, and all my changes are GONE <--ME

It's a built in time out function that I believe kicks in at 15 minutes. If it's going to take more then 15 minutes - type in Word or Notepad and paste in your info.

Word????

Quote Originally Posted by Steve R Jones View Post
    It's a built in time out function that I believe kicks in at 15 minutes. If it's going to take more then 15 minutes - type in Word or Notepad and paste in your info.
    I do not have any of those on this Slackware dedicated machine , there must be some Microsoft equivalents in the open community.....
    3 Slackware12.1 and 1 Debian Squeeze (3 puters), purring

Steve R Jones

So why would you have a remember me button at login if you don't intend to let us stay logged in?

Quote Originally Posted by mrrangerman43 View Post
    So why would you have a remember me button at login if you don't intend to let us stay logged in?
    Even more to the point, why am I automatically logged out in the middle of editing a post?
    There must be a reason that I don't understand.

This has happened to me many times over the years, because I forget between incidents, and because I never set out to spend so long editing a post. I'm sure there's a reason for this, but I really think a little note of warning next to the edit button would be very good idea. I'm pretty sure I've wasted a lot of hours on this,

vBulletin Community Forum

After searching "timeouts" at the above link it appears that the remember me function does play apart. BUT, when you reach the timeout limit you get logged back in, in a new session.

I'll ask the IP people upstairs about increasing the amount of time...But in the mean time everyone now knows how to avoid losing anything they've typed

A temp solution is to hit submit reply, reenter your login, then hit edit if you need to make more changes. Your browser should cache your text long enough for this work (at least it does for me).

EDIT => Always hit 'Go Advanced' unless making a simple change. Then you have the option of submit over save.
    "Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect."

-Mark Twain

http://205.196.120.43/989ca3c8166c37...f899e22d6g.jpg

Incredibly (as in I can be incredibly dumb sometimes) it happened again in the the course of this discussion. This site is responsible directly or indirectly for most of what I know about Linux, and I don't want to come off as complaining, but I am curious as to why this happens. I think there must be a reason, and the error message doesn't really explain it.

Sometimes I can recover by hitting the back button and saving the text to a clipboard. Other times not. Probably because of something I did that I can't remember.

You know, something like this happened at another site I was posting on
    yesterday. I do believe that I would be well served to make working in text
    my default rule from now on. The habit could save me hours and hours of
    writing. It could also provide me with a grep-searchable database of
    everything I've written in one place, and give me a chance to get comfortable
    in emacs, like I've been meaning to do for years. Using KDE with folderview
    (that's old-style KDE, with the sticky Desktop backdrop) I can paste
    the text from my clipboard onto the Desktop, and the contents of the
    clipboard becomes a text file. (For users of the default KDE "Desktop" mode,
    you can paste onto a folder view widget or into dolphin or Konqueror.)

(sort of messes with the line breaks, though.)
    Last edited by blackbelt_jones; 02-29-2012 at 03:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by blackbelt_jones View Post
    I do believe that I would be well served to make working in text my default rule from now on.
    I, too, don't want to bash a site I've used for many years, but honestly this type of timeout is VERY outdated - well over a decade old process. Sessions can have keep-alive signals with form interaction, sessions can be stored in encrypted cookies, etc. I know the site is not all that active, so recoding isn't a high objective, but at least a more reasonable timeout should be in order.
    "Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect."

-Mark Twain

The general concept from the IT guys upstairs is that the timeout is for those people that hit the reply button and then leave the house/state/country for many hours/days/weeks... And or for the people using public computers at school etc....

I chatted with the editors and IT person... the timeout value is going to be doubled to 30 minutes....Or double what ever it has been

The change was made late yesterday to 30 minutes.