sudden change to UUID screwing up my script

Thread: sudden change to UUID screwing up my script

sudden change to UUID screwing up my script

Suddenly on a old installation of Mandriva my 2 external usb drives now automount using the UUID numbers instead of mounting in /media/disk like they use to.

The problem is that i run a few scripts on those disk and the scripts rely on the drive to mount in /media/disk (not /media/bc0aa003-e03d-4091-a62f-d19aa8ef2a91).

Yes i could easily modify those script but i am just curious what cause this sudden change and how i could revert to the old way.

The change seems to have happened after a routine Mandriva update.

Oh! and when i powered up the usb drives, Nautilus opened, (but i normally use Dolphin in kde4). That problem is fixed now.

Still curious on how to not using UUID's.

Linux Counter

Debian "Lenny"
    Mandriva 2010.2

"Where am I?" "In the Village." "What do you want?" "Information.""Whose side are you on?" "That would be telling.... We want information. Information! INFORMATION!"

I would let the distro to use UUID when it is installed. However if something goes wrong I normally use /etc/fstab to mount the device using the traditional device names.

Not a fan of UUID myself.
    Linux user started Jun 2004 - No. 361921
    Using a Linux live CD to clone XP
    To install Linux and keep Windows MBR untouched
    Adding extra Linux & Doing it in a lazy way
    A Grub menu booting 100+ systems & A "Howto" to install and boot 145 systems
    Just cloning tips Just booting tips A collection of booting tips

Judge asked Linux "You are being charged murdering Windoze by stabbing its heart with a weapon, what was it?" Replied Linux "A Live CD"

The UUID is meant to be used as a way to identify that disc, even if it is plugged into a different port next time, so that it can still be mounted at the same spot, not to be the name of the mount point. Was /media/disc a mountpoint you set up, or was that a Mandriva default? If it was a default, then it would make sense to be subject to a changed default by an update.
    You can give the disc an fstab line to recognize the disc (by UUID if you want, which might be a good idea for a USB drive) and mount it at your choice of mount point. There should be graphical utilities that can help, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Pafnoutios View Post
    The UUID is meant to be used as a way to identify that disc, even if it is plugged into a different port next time, so that it can still be mounted at the same spot, not to be the name of the mount point. Was /media/disc a mountpoint you set up, or was that a Mandriva default? If it was a default, then it would make sense to be subject to a changed default by an update.
    You can give the disc an fstab line to recognize the disc (by UUID if you want, which might be a good idea for a USB drive) and mount it at your choice of mount point. There should be graphical utilities that can help, too.
    I am just a bit old fashion and did not like the unwanted change to my setup.
    But i modified my scripts with the UUID,s and like you said it make more sense like this in case the drives get mounted somewhere else.
    Last edited by Davno; 03-02-2012 at 11:01 PM.

Linux Counter

Debian "Lenny"
    Mandriva 2010.2

"Where am I?" "In the Village." "What do you want?" "Information.""Whose side are you on?" "That would be telling.... We want information. Information! INFORMATION!"