I certainly hope . . .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I certainly hope . . .

I certainly hope . . .

. . . my brain doesn't melt when I get back to the states, what with all the 3G waves and 4G waves and cell phone waves and HD TV waves and other wireless waves, and like them negative waves from Moriarity!

And how many choices are there now for 'communications' services and 'commuicators' and internet access choices. I wonder if my T-mobile cell phone will still allow me to buy minutes. I got it in Hawaii a couple of years ago and haven't used it in over a year. (no high tech stuff out here!)

-------------
    Folding is Fun

I thought I made a mistake once, but, of course, I was mistaken.

what? where you stuck in that island like those people on that show?
    Linux user #367409

Exactly!

No phone, no lights no motor cars,
    Not a single luxury,
    Like Robinson Crusoe,
    As primitive as can be.

Well, we have telephones and lights. That's about it.
    -------------
    Folding is Fun

well you made it back, without it being a weird alternate reality or something.
    A proper ending to the story.
    I doubt 3G and 4G waves are gonna hurt you that much bro.
    Linux user #367409

Quote Originally Posted by bs_texas View Post
    . . . my brain doesn't melt when I get back to the states, what with all the 3G waves and 4G waves and cell phone waves and HD TV waves and other wireless waves, and like them negative waves from Moriarity!
    Don't worry, just adds a green hue to your piss...

There is enough radiation from other sources...

Last edited by trilarian; 03-13-2012 at 10:24 AM.
    "Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect."

-Mark Twain

Now I have a headache! ;-)
    -------------
    Folding is Fun

Exactly!

Not a single luxury,
    Like Robinson Crusoe,
    As primitive as can be.

That's OK. All of the Amish I've met drive pickup trucks.

Pafnoutios

That's OK. All of the Amish I've met drive pickup trucks.
    You sure they are Amish and not Mennonite? Amish are rather strict, whereas the Mennonite will use auto's and electricity.

Not sure at all.

Which ones were Wierd Al singing about?

I would be more worried about the Marshall Isl. From what I recall it was the site of large scale nuclear weapons testing and I've heard some nearby areas claim to be affected even now.

Not a single luxury,
    Like Robinson Crusoe,
    As primitive as can be.

Does sound lovely. Have you enjoyed your time there?

I ask, because I have the dream, of moving to a peaceful paradise, almost isolated, sounds like bliss.

Well, here I am, back in the great state of the lone star state of the Republic of Texas! Just made an offer on a house yesterday and accepted a counter offer today. Should be out of this extended stay hotel by the end of April. Hope to have a new car this weekend. No Verizon FIOS at the address yet, but AT&T U-verse is available at 24mbps. I need that to help me get over those old, low down, mind messing, working with the 56K dial-up blues and hibby jibbies!! ;-)

My cell phone indeed, did not work. But that's just because the SIM card had become invalid. Got another SIM and some pay-as-you-go minutes and I'm back in touch. Them eyePhones and stuff is gonna be hard! ;-)

If you wanna go out there to the Marshall Islands: http://www.krsjv.com .
    It has good points and bad. Quiet. Laid back, mostly. No personal broadband. Lots of fishing, scuba diving, snorkeling, etc., if you are into that sort of stuff.

The nuke tests were north of there and I don't think there was much radiation fallout down to the Kwajalein Atoll. However, they still find UXO. UneXploded Ordnance from WWII.

And: "The victory at Kwajalein broke a hole through the Japanese outer defenses and was a key step in the Allies' island-hopping campaign. Allied losses in the battle numbered 372 killed and 1,592 wounded. Japanese casualties are estimated at 7,870 killed/wounded and 105 captured."
    http://militaryhistory.about.com/od/.../kwajalein.htm
    Even with that happening, working all alone in some big buildings at night... I never saw a ghost.

And looking up, I never saw a UFO. I was disappointed by that! ;-)
    -------------
    Folding is Fun

Hey, just some advice with U-Verse, just dealt with it myself. DON'T get the 24Mbps initially (it comes with a $150 fee for your convenience - basically a guy comes out and plugs your telephone cable into the modem, turns it on, and leaves), get any of them but the last two which allows a self install. After you install it, go online or call and increase to 24Mbps. If its within 30 days you still get the promo rate, but don't have to pay the install fee since it is installed.

Also, their router/modem is a joke. Save yourself another $100 and go get a modem only. If you do end up with their modem/router combo, set it up as a pass-thru device and do your security, port forwarding, etc. behind it. If you need help on doing that let me know.

Also, they say activation waived but they charge you anyway. If you call after first bill they'll refund, but its standard practice to see if you notice (also your rate may be wrong - took me 3 months to get it straight). AT&T are *****es.

Once you are settled, lets grab a brew. I'd love to meet some JL people in real life. I'm usually in the Deep Ellum area on the weekends.
    "Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect."

-Mark Twain

Thanks for the pointers! I'll do that.

I could make it down to Deep Ellum at some point. That's where I first saw Bugs Henderson at a Blues club there. Don't know if it's still there. Been a long time. Bugs was diagnosed with cancer not that long ago and has already succumbed to it!
    -------------
    Folding is Fun

My brain --is-- melting!! But it's not the technology.

$45 for 11 gallons of gas!!!!!!!!!!!!

-------------
    Folding is Fun

My brain --is-- melting!! But it's not the technology.

$45 for 11 gallons of gas!!!!!!!!!!!!

Be thankful you don't live in the UK. The exact same amount of gas is $94.55

(converted from us gall to litres>then our lowest prices of £1.42 per litre> then converted in to dollars from pounds)

Also, even though the unions over here have said they won't follow through in their plans to strike, yet, the shortest queues at petrol stations here are over half a mile long and take well over an hour to queue up

I did want to avoid the panic buyers, but I had a low tank yesterday and needed at least half a tank. Had to go out in the early hours and a couple of hours later, I have fuel! Even though I didnt get any sleep!

I'm thinking, it might be easier just to move to Nigeria. Even with rampant corruption and having a machine gun pointed at you while you fill up with fuel, it is preferable to the UK at least.