I certainly hope . . . - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I certainly hope . . .

I think part of the difference in price is the amount of demand by distance. The UK is much smaller and condensed with decent public transportation options. Just as an example, I don't have a public option from my house to my work, which is a 18 mile commute one way (~29km) - which is actually considered quite close.

Quote: Arlington is the largest city in the United States not served by a comprehensive public transportation system. Voters have rejected a fixed-route bus transit system three times

So, just going to work and nothing else I average 180 miles a week (~290km). Once you add in lunch break, errands, and the weekend drive into downtown (30 miles one way - ~48km), I'm averaging 300 miles a week (~483km).

300 miles a week and I haven't left the DFW metroplex yet.

Decide to take a trip from coast to coast and you are looking at roughly 3,000 miles (4,828km) give or take a few hundred depending on route and if just E<>W or N<>S added.

UK has more public transportation infrastructure, mainly trains, from its smaller and more condensed size. What amounts to skipping to a different state here is to a different country there. It's not a competition, just saying somehow - even if by subsidies - the price has to be maintained here or people will not be able to afford basic items like food.
    "Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect."

-Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by trilarian View Post
    I think part of the difference in price is the amount of demand by distance. The UK is much smaller and condensed
    I would agree there.

Just as an example, I don't have a public option from my house to my work, which is a 18 mile commute one way (~29km) - which is actually considered quite close.

Quote: Arlington is the largest city in the United States not served by a comprehensive public transportation system. Voters have rejected a fixed-route bus transit system three times

So, just going to work and nothing else I average 180 miles a week (~290km). Once you add in lunch break, errands, and the weekend drive into downtown (30 miles one way - ~48km), I'm averaging 300 miles a week (~483km).

300 miles a week and I haven't left the DFW metroplex yet.
    My trip to work is 50 miles each way (100 miles round trip per day).

Closest job to home I had was 19 miles away each way.

UK has more public transportation infrastructure, mainly trains, from its smaller and more condensed size. What amounts to skipping to a different state here is to a different country there.
    We really don't. Public transport here is unreliable, not an option for many as outside cities, it's not even an option due to running times and the cost.

Our infrastructure is the joke of Europe.

IIt's not a competition, just saying somehow - even if by subsidies - the price has to be maintained here or people will not be able to afford basic items like food.
    People already can't afford food in the UK and in the US.

Be thankful you arent taxed as much as we are.