Question about /home settings and reinstallation

Thread: Question about /home settings and reinstallation

Question about /home settings and reinstallation

I've read tutorials where it says that it's better to have /usr and /home on separate partitions so if you reinstall, all your programs and settings will be intact.

So if I install programs in /usr and reinstall Linux....don't the programs store some kind of settings or files in other partitions/directories which may have changed after installing the OS...thus the program won't work? In windows, programs store registry settings and DLL libraries in System32 and other directories. So if you reinstall, you have to reinstall all your programs too.

Also for the settings, if I install gnome-panel...doesn't it replace the .panel files I have in the home directory?

I would recommend having a separate files system for /home. In a server environment I like to have separate log file systems. I support a test environment and the developers like to write log output.

For /usr not so much. Most programs you install keep their settings in /etc.

Keeping a backup of /etc would help you more than having a separate /usr.

Maintaining an up-to-date diary of programs and machine specific info comes in very handy. Makes duplicating a system extremely easy. I keep them on an USB stick.

Good Luck,

I noticed that the /etc/ has system files as well. So if backup and restore the /etc/ directory...doesn't the new OS installations system files get replaced with the old versions etc?

You'll need to be selective in choosing which files from the old /etc to restore.
    We'll get thisright yet!

Installing applications from scratch would write the necessary files to /etc.

I would use the backup files more for reference than restoring. As camelrider said you should be careful about which files to overwrite. If you choose to restore any files make a backup of any file before replacing it.

Good Luck,

If you overwrite or otherwise mess up a config file you can run:

Code:
    dpkg-reconfigure package_name
    EDIT => Also, don't know if it was mentioned but /etc is usually for system/global configure and /home/user/.configfile is for user specific.
    Last edited by trilarian; 01-17-2012 at 11:17 AM.
    "Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect."

-Mark Twain