booting ext4 with legacy grub

Thread: booting ext4 with legacy grub

Threaded View

booting ext4 with legacy grub [solved]

Hi all,

I'm having a little trouble getting Debian Squeeze to boot by chainloading, since I converted it from ext3 to ext4. I use legacy grub for both MBR (points to Ubuntu Lucid in sda1) and the boot sector of sdb5 (Squeeze). My other ext4 partitions all boot with legacy grub, usually borrowed from Ubuntu. I have tried:
    1 Simply copying the *stage* files from the Ubuntu Lucid /boot directory and running grub-install.
    1a Using a Grub CD (originally from Jaunty) and running
    Code:
    root (hd1,4)
    setup (hd1,4)
    2 Using Debian's apt-get and changing temporarily sources.list to install the Ubuntu version of grub, then grub-install.
    3 Removing the above and installing the latest Debian legacy-grub, then running grub-install.

I've been getting the error "Mismatched or corrupt version of stage1/stage2" from grub-install and setup.
    Unsurprisingly, I get "Error 13: Invalid or unsupported file format" when trying to boot with my corrupt stage1/stage2 by chainloading.

I can boot Debian perfectly well manually using the Ubuntu Lucid grub with a command line and the identical commands to those in the Debian menu.lst.

Of methods 1,2, and 3 above, method 1 has worked for me several times with different distros. I expected method 2 to work. Method 3 I didn't really expect to work.

I suppose I could give in and use grub2, but I dislike it, and the Ubuntu grub has always worked with ext4 in other distros.

Any ideas?
    Last edited by impert; 03-16-2012 at 12:33 PM.