My Asus eeePC 1015PN review

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My Asus eeePC 1015PN review

My Asus eeePC 1015PN review

Wow.

Should I elaborate a little or is that enough?

I'm not done "testing" everything but wanted to share my first impressions with everyone, mostly because there are some questions regarding Linux compatibility.

I received my netbook from Amazon as scheduled this morning. For some reason I only had to pay $404+ shipping for it, though it is mostly always listed at $429...just lucky I guess.

Once unboxed, I plugged in and powered up.

I answered a few of the Win7 questions, then Asus software spent a long time doing something, but eventually I got a login.

Once logged in, neither the wired or wireless nic's would work on my network. I think this was all Windows fault however (more later), but Win7 did recognize the card, and my very open wireless router...it would just never connect (access control on the router did have the right mac addy listed).

While in Win7 I updated the bios using the "built in" Asus update manager already installed on the netbook, plus I let Win7 update to it's hearts content.

I added crucial ram (CT1539081) from crucials website as it was priced the same as Amazon and I figured if they got it wrong they'd have to replace it for free.

Once I confirmed all the hardware worked properly (including the RAM), I set to the arduous task of replacing the hard drive with an "old" ssd drive I have had for a while.

I will say replacing the HD is not a task for the faint of heart. If you have never done this before, I suggest against it. I have been working on computers for nearly 20 years, and this took some doing.

However, it is done.

When I finally had it all put back together, I attached a USB CDROM and first booted Mint Linux (9.x I believe using XFCE4).

This install went quickly, but I wasn't happy with it, so I then put Ubuntu 10.10 Desktop on a bootable USB, went to the cafe and installed from there.

The install went as smoothly as can be, and Ubuntu recognized EVERYTHING....wired nic, bluetooth, webcam (testing this is inconclusive...recording isn't good), sound card, the intel GMA graphics card, all "4" cpus, 2 gigs of RAM, microphone.

Upon reboot after the install, it recognized the Broadcom wireless card and the NVIDIA Ion2 card and asked to install the proprietary drivers, which I've done.

And now the wireless works fine (which is why I think it was a Win7 problem, not a hardware one) and I have HD powers via Youtube (more testing required but I played an 720p video on youtube "fine", while it used 350%+ of the cpu, but it worked).

Except for switching graphics cards, I can confidently say Ubuntu 10.10 works 99% out of the box (with proprietary drivers loaded).

Oh!! And with zero post-install tweaking, bootchart is reporting boot times of 20seconds!! From a completely powered off netbook to a usable desktop....20 seconds!!!

This is with Ubuntu, Gnome & compiz running!

So that's that...more to follow I'm sure as I tweak this and poke that, but for now....the Asus 1015PN is 99-100% Ubuntu 10.10 compatible and impressive already.

A quick update:

first, the exhaust fan on the left hand side is blowing out pretty "hot".

lm-sensors reports 60c (140f), which is pretty normal (I think) so I'm not afraid that the machine is over heating, but it is noticeably hot when I lay my hand on the desk.

Also, I've been testing some HD Youtube videos, and some of my own DVD rip's, both avi and mkv/h.264's.

Initially, there was a studder every 5 or so seconds in the video, so I have since upgraded to the latest NVIDIA driver thinking it would help...it didn't.

I then was doing some normal surfing and local file system browsing and noticed the same annoying glitch every 5 seconds.....scrolling would stop, then continue, etc.

So I realized this wasn't "HD" related so I turned off the special effects (compiz) on my desktop and everything is as smooth as can be.

I'm re-watching the HD 720P shuttle launch at full screen and even though my "4" cpu's are 84%+, the video is just fine.

UPDATE: Just to follow up on this, there seems to be a "bug" in the bluetooth &/or wireless card.

Without using a bluetooth mouse the machine runs perfectly fine...fast boots, responsive feel, good graphics.

The only consistant issue I have is getting and staying connected to a bluetooth device, and once connected, it stutters and becomes useless.

I await a BIOS update or something to correct this issue.
    Last edited by happybunny; 11-23-2010 at 11:51 PM.

Hey happybunny,
    I take it you are satisfied with your 1015PN running Ubuntu.
    The fact is I'm planning to buy one and I was afraid that the drivers for the hybrid solution Intel chipset/Nvidia ION2 weren't available on Linux (especially because of the whole Optimus thing).
    So you say there are no problems?

Have you tried some games under Linux (2D or 3D). If so, which ones?

The thing is that I personnaly play 2D independent games (some of which are available on Linux) and use emulators (gameboy advance...), so since those are not very resource-consuming, I'd like to be able to use them on a notebook.

I am pretty happy with the purchase.

I've discovered I like to tinker with netbooks more than actually use them.

The Ubuntu 10.10 install just simply works.

I've tried slack and mint and debianeeepc, and each one has problems. Ubuntu 10.10 (32 or 64bit) just simply work.

I've installed the Ubuntu recommended NVIDIA proprietary driver, and I've installed it manually from nvidia.com, and both work just as good.

I will say that I cannot switch from Intel to NVIDIA using the magically Optimus thing, BUT my basic testing showed no gain in battery life when using the "normal"? NVIDIA driver over the proprietary one.

Now that I write this, I guess I've never actually used the Intel video card....Ubuntu seems to use the NVIDIA one (mesa? driver or NVIDIA), but I'll check that again.

I am getting 4+ hours of battery life with ubuntu/gnome/compiz/nvidia, so I dont' imagine using the lesser video card would get me anything, other than worse performance.

So yeah, I am very pleased with this purchase.

There does seem to be a "known" issue with the bluetooth driver, but if that's not important to you then it doesn't matter.

I haven't plaid many games, just tested video's on youtube and my own.

If there is any thing particular you'd like me to try and play, let me know and I can try it out.

http://machinarium.net/demo/ plays "OK", but requires 1024x768, which this can't do.

That is the #1 problem/complaint I think. They should have squeezed in a better LCD since this can handle HD.

Have either of you run Ubuntu Netbook? I believe the only difference is the Unity GUI.

I'm installing it now (and I'm a first-time Linux user).

Asus 1015PN, 2GB

skwerl

I don't like the Unity GUI plus it was painfully slow last time I tried it.

Happybunny,

Question for you. I broke the screen on my 1015pn. I want to replace it myself. Any tips? I've not done anything like this before.

K

Hi,

great post by the way!
    I'm planning to purchase an eeePC 1015PN as well, and start running Ubuntu in it!
    Have you ever tried running the Ubuntu 10.10 netbook edition in it?
    Have you tested other netbooks?

What would you recommend for a first-time Linux user?

Thanks

Ref: My Asus eeePC 1015PN review

Quote Originally Posted by happybunny View Post
    Wow.

UPDATE: Just to follow up on this, there seems to be a "bug" in the bluetooth &/or wireless card.

Without using a bluetooth mouse the machine runs perfectly fine...fast boots, responsive feel, good graphics.

The only consistant issue I have is getting and staying connected to a bluetooth device, and once connected, it stutters and becomes useless.

I await a BIOS update or something to correct this issue.
    HappyBunny - I know exactly what you mean about swapping the HDD out on this unit. What a job! I'm having the same issues with my Bluetooth mouse. If I fail to use it for a few minutes Bluetooth shuts down and will not sync w/o a re-boot. I'm unable to see anything in the CMOS on the system (bluetooth is enabled) so I'm sure it has to do with the [Bug 658675 being reported in the Ubuntu forums. Any luck on your end?

Other wise the Asus 1015 is working great! I added a 360GB 720 RPM HDD and 2GB memory. It does get a little warm but so did my other systems. Great write-up!

My bluetooth issues are nearly gone.

There is some problem with turning it on/off, but on the occasions that I do connect my mouse, the stutter problem originally reported as a video issue seem to have been solved.

Neither the Jupiter tool nor the Bluetooth manager seem to be able to consistantly "turn on" the bluetooth adapter.

I'm not sure where the problem is with that, but like I said, once on everything seems fine now.

I'll note that I update every time Ubuntu tells me too so I am very current.

Sounds exactly like mine. If it does connect it is usually solid but this only happens about 2 out of 5 attempts. The BT-radio shows inactive when the system boots up and it won't connect. I've never got it to connect when the BT icon is showing inactive. Take care

I realize that this thread is a couple weeks old, but I have a similar mouse issue to what rdrandal is reporting in a regular Laptop, running CentOS 5.5.

The only solution that I've found (Beware of the upcoming hack) is to key bind the 'modprobe -r' command to <Ctrl><q> and use it as required. This has forced the kernel to 'rediscover' my mouse in every subsequent occurance.

hello

happybunny

what Configuration did you buy ?

and if this netbook has Intel Atom N570, Can you test, does cpu have Intel Virtualization Technology (VT-x) ??

thnks.

It's an N550

does this answer your question:

fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss httm pbe syscall nx lm constant_tsc arch_perfmon pebs bts rep_good nopl aperfmperf pni dtes64 monitor ds_cpl est tm2 ssse3 cx16 xtpr pdcm movbe lahf_lm dts

thanks.

happybunny,

Thanks for this useful post.
    I have 2 questions about your configuration.
    On your 1015PN you have w7 on the internal disk and ubuntu on an external usb disk, correct ?
    Why didn't you installaed ubuntu on the internal disk ?
    If I install ubuntu on internal disk (w7 is then deleted), is there a cd to reinstall w7?

One more question did you install ubuntu 11.04 ? If yes, which interface do you use Unity? Gnome ?

Thanks