Linux and DRM

Thread: Linux and DRM

Linux and DRM

I've been informed there is effort underway to incorporate various Digital Rights Management stuff (KMS, TPM, IntelTXT, vPRO, HDCP support, etc.) into Linux. If I am to move from XP Pro to a Linux distro, I will need help/guidance to eliminate any/all such components (either pre-installation or post-installation), as that is one of the major reasons to leave Windows. I've only began to research this, so welcome any advice on how to proceed.

I don't think any of that stuff is a problem with GNU/Linux as it stands today. The only distro I can think of that _might_ be moving that way is Ubuntu, but I can't recall hearing anything specific - just a vicious rumour
    Need help in realtime? Visit us at #linuxnewbie on irc.libera.chat

Few of us will do as much for our fellow man as he has done.
    --Andrew Morton on RMS

If you're interested....

Quote Originally Posted by je_fro View Post
    I don't think any of that stuff is a problem with GNU/Linux as it stands today. The only distro I can think of that _might_ be moving that way is Ubuntu, but I can't recall hearing anything specific - just a vicious rumour
    I've links to preliminary research turned up on Google searches....assuming that does not violate any fine print (forum rules, posting guidelines,etc.). Was banned at another forum year ago for this type of post, so very wary about posting links or (anything similar), ever since!

I strongly suspect that any DRM bugs added to Linux would fall in one of two camps: (1) reverse-engineered and GPLed, or (2) restrictively licenced and therefore difficult to include by default in a distribution.

If it's (1) then someone will almost certainly include a simple on/off switch, such as I'm told is already found in certain PDF readers; if (2) then you'd have to 'opt in' by deliberately installing the bug.

In other words, it's unlikely to be a problem - though of course, I could be wrong.
    We are free to think. We are free to plan. And we are free to do. But once an action has been taken, we are never free from its consequences.
    --Russel M. Nelson, apostle.

If you want to be sure to avoid any of that stuff, Debian is strictly free software, which would eliminate any of that stuff.

I don't see how most of it would ever get into Linux though. DRM pretty much always depends on proprietary software to keep its methods a secret, so nobody who runs a DRM scheme is going to allow it in Linux (the kernel at least).

Quote Originally Posted by TheCatMan View Post
    I strongly suspect that any DRM bugs added to Linux would fall in one of two camps: (1) reverse-engineered and GPLed, or (2) restrictively licenced and therefore difficult to include by default in a distribution.

If it's (1) then someone will almost certainly include a simple on/off switch, such as I'm told is already found in certain PDF readers; if (2) then you'd have to 'opt in' by deliberately installing the bug.

In other words, it's unlikely to be a problem - though of course, I could be wrong.
    So far, you seem to be right...every instance of this junk I have uncovered looks to have a 'disable'. Unfortunately, so far as I know, anything that can be disabled today, can be enabled tomorrow, and I'm not real clear on whether or not a cracker can re-enable remotely. From what I understand, disabling such stuff is a poor substitute for deletion, which erases it totally.
    Hence I'd be keen to learn out how to delete individual Linux kernel configuration items, such as CONFIG_INTEL_TXT.

Quote Originally Posted by cybertron View Post
    If you want to be sure to avoid any of that stuff, Debian is strictly free software, which would eliminate any of that stuff.

I don't see how most of it would ever get into Linux though. DRM pretty much always depends on proprietary software to keep its methods a secret, so nobody who runs a DRM scheme is going to allow it in Linux (the kernel at least).
    Well, I'm fairly sure (at least as sure as a newbie can be) that CONFIG_INTEL_TXT, and maybe CONFIG_HAVE_INTEL_TXT are in the kernels 2.632 to 3.0-3.3. There is something call 'TrustedGRUB' and 'TrouSerS', but not yet sure if these are in kernel, in Distro OS, or in a repository. I'm on the trail of other stuff, but too soon to comment. I will say that right now my quest to replace XP Pro with a DRM-free OS is not looking good.

I'm not familiar with Debian. It uses a different kernel?