Linux users won't pay for games?

Thread: Linux users won't pay for games?

Linux users won't pay for games?

Beg to differ: http://www.wolfire.com/humble

At least as of this posting, the Linux users are paying around twice as much as the Windows users and about 50% more than Mac users.

As a side note, I've heard good things about most of these games, and I can say that the one I've played, Penumbra: Overture, is very good, especially for an indie. When I get home I'm planning to look into doing my part to push that Linux average higher.

There is not much more in the computing world that would make me happier than PC games being 100% ported (and most likely run better due to less OS overhead), but sadly this is a war I have long given up on. I used to pay for Transgaming, tinkered with Wine, virtualbox, etc. but in reality IF I even got the game to actually run it usually ran with glitches, at reduced speeds, new patches/mods/etc weren't available for months after initial release, etc.

Now-a-days I don't have as much free time to play games, but when I do I'm content with my PS3 (being the M$ hater I am, never have and never will pickup a xbox). The few games I still play on PC, mostly strategy like Galactic Civilization, Master of Orion (recognize my screen name), etc. I keep a small partition for dual booting into Windows.

I was a big Diablo fan back in the day, so I'll probably pickup Diablo III whenever it comes out (which I'm sure will be incompatible with native Linux).

It IS disheartening because I have found a Linux program that at the very least lets me get by, but in most cases is actually superior to the program I was using in Windows - and it comes free and without spyware or need to find a serial number generator.

If the gaming community would port to Linux on a regular basis I could finally end the whole dual-boot situation I've been in since the 90's. One day.... one day....
    Last edited by trilarian; 05-10-2010 at 05:24 PM.
    "Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect."

-Mark Twain

well linux is not most popular for the games well the intel is most popular for the games.Are you looking for a few easy steps to make money online? Maybe I must ask, if it really does take a few easy steps to
    making money on the internet With all the hundreds of different ways to work at home on the internet   one can easily find yourself trapped in an overload of information which brings you to a point of confusion or indecisiveness
    Last edited by cashy; 05-17-2010 at 07:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by cashy View Post
    well linux is not most popular for the games well the intel is most popular for the games.

This makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.
    "Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect."

-Mark Twain

I'm not a gamer. Never saw the appeal. But I do believe Linuxistas would fork out hard earned cash for a native game. No doubt about that.

Just because we get our OS free doesn't meant we don't pay for programs we really want. Hell, some of us even pay for the OS!
    Thanks,
    Loopback48

Debian fanboy. And only Debian.

http://www.debiantutorials.org/

Quote Originally Posted by trilarian View Post

This makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.
    I think it's a toss up whether this is a bot or just someone who doesn't speak English. At least not in any comprehensible fashion.

There are a lot of use that will buy games for Linux just because we can. They are usually priced fairly well too which makes them more compelling as a purchase. There are a lot of game I will skip over because they are not my cup of tea but there have been a lot I buy that I normally wouldn't also just because they have a Linux port.

Here's to looking forward to a very possible Steam port in the near future!

I've bought several games for Linux - I also buy movies & music, people have a right to get paid for their job.
    But then of course it's a lot easier for a Linux-user to pay for thet - we do get everything else for free! The OS, almost every application you need no matter what you do, well you know.
    People who have to pay for every tiny little application they need will simply have to find other ways to get software et al.
    And that's actually what's happening, how many of your friends have actually bought Windows, applications, games, movies?
    So it should really be the other way around - Windows users won't pay for games!
    In pingvino veritas!

Quote Originally Posted by Icarus View Post
    They recently released a native Mac client so this is a distinct possibility. However, have you tried running it under Wine? I installed the Orange Box on my system and just by tweaking the heapsize and directx arguments when the games are launched, they run flawlessly. The only thing I can think of that doesn't work is the game overlay (i.e. you can't switch from your game to your friends list). You can simply run the game in windowed mode though, and then you can easily just alt+tab between your friends list and the games. The friends list and chat feature also used to have problems but they have made significant improvements. I don't see any issues anymore.

So I guess I'm still running it via DirectX 8 but it runs really well (100+ FPS with my nvidia 8800GT).
    "The author of that poem is either Homer or, if not Homer, somebody else of the same name."

Quote Originally Posted by Icarus View Post
    Indeed! Here's hoping that Steam breaking free of Windows will make people start taking other platforms seriously for gaming.

Related to the OP, I've now finished three of the games in the bundle (Penumbra a long time ago, World of Goo, and Lugaru) and although I've paid for Penumbra twice they were all well worth the money.

I've had a good laugh reading this thread and remembering "controversies" like this. They used to say the same thing for ALL PC users too. I guess some people think that. Greedy dev lies 101 right there.

Quote Originally Posted by Bournson View Post
    I've had a good laugh reading this thread and remembering "controversies" like this. They used to say the same thing for ALL PC users too. I guess some people think that. Greedy dev lies 101 right there.
    I know right? haha, it's quite hilarious.