Mint KDE and screen troubble

Thread: Mint KDE and screen troubble

Hybrid View

Mint KDE and screen troubble

My main problem for the last day now and tomorrow i'm back to win7 since i want my pc back =)

I've installed Mint KDE 64 bit.

Right ot of the box, it's wrong on the screen, since it goes around 1-2 cm outside the monitor. making it hard to see the icons, taskbar and start menu's.

Managed todo one upgrade on in the terminal and also installed nvidia-current drivers. along with the setthings tool and to make the changed in the xorg.conf file. but that is where the pain really begins.

It makes everything look 200 to 300% bigger and larger, like i'm on low res, but actually on HD settings and just viewing in painfully big text and icons and everything are BIG!

Still after all of that, I cannot resize the screen to fit my monitor, too big after that also. and that worked like a charm in windows

here is my xorg.conf file:
    https://pastebin.com/BP4J9Myy

I've made two posts of this in linuxforums and one in the mint forums.
    the mint forums, over a day now and no replies.
    linuxforums one did reply, but when he got offline, seems like none else dare to reply after him at all. very sad tbh. since opinions do help newbies into linux like me.

so to whomever might click to read this, ur opinion so count. and i DO want to make this work since i hate win8 too mutch. :P

-tor

Ejii,

Welcome to Justlinux!

I am not sure if I can be of help as I got the same problem too with both Ubuntu and Mint. I suspect this may have something to do with the Nvidia driver not matching the graphic card.

You should always have Win7 side by side as there is no reason why can't you dual boot or multi boot. I always have at least 3 systems available on any PC.

I reduce my problem to a usable environment by trying other Nvidia drivers which you can install using synaptic package manager or just using apt-get install the reuired programs. Using the current Nvidia driver may not be appropriate. If can also try other generic driver too like vesa or just nv.

If a driver doesn't work you can escape into the text terminal
    Code:
    Ctrl+Alt+F1
    to become root user by
    Code:
    sudo -i
    to stop the Xserver
    Code:
    service lightdm stop
    or
    Code:
    service kdm stop
    edit the xorg.conf or generate a new one
    Code:
    Xorg:1 -configure
    cp /root/xorg.conf.new  /etc/X11/xorg.conf
    restart the server
    Code:
    service lightdm start
    or
    Code:
    service kdm start
    and return to xserver
    Code:
    Ctrl+Alt+F7
    It was by repeated trial I managed to get the screen under control.
    Linux user started Jun 2004 - No. 361921
    Using a Linux live CD to clone XP
    To install Linux and keep Windows MBR untouched
    Adding extra Linux & Doing it in a lazy way
    A Grub menu booting 100+ systems & A "Howto" to install and boot 145 systems
    Just cloning tips Just booting tips A collection of booting tips

Judge asked Linux "You are being charged murdering Windoze by stabbing its heart with a weapon, what was it?" Replied Linux "A Live CD"

gone to 1680x1050 from 1920x1080 and forced DPI to 120 so now everything is in the monitor and the text size is low as it should be again.

But to downgrade just ain't happening :P

First, what video card do you have in the system ie. GT9600? 2nd have you put in the right HorizSync & VertRefresh in your /etc/X11/xorg.conf file? Most times you don't need to worry about it, but sometimes you need to edit the file and manualy enter the right settings. If you have the above mentioned Nvidia card I believe you will need the 173. driver. If your repository does not offer it you can go to nividia.com and download the needed driver.

I see you mention Win8 does your monitor have touch screen? If so it could be that linuxmint does not support a touch screen.

got Nvidia 670 GFX Card.
    I mentioned Win8, but I hate it even more than Vista. And i don't got a toutchscreen either.

I've given my linux project up completly now, since i did lookup on oversize issues. It was an hell of a job when I got that in the Win7 Nvidia drivers todo that for me.

But I will ruly say that the folks in the linux mint IRC have been superb to hgelp me with my initial problems to get things working.
    Set serolution down so it fits in the screen and then to force the DPI settings to 120 so the text would not be so damm oversize. Took me only 3 days to get that done, and to get the final screen setting done. I had the feeling i had to have a Ph.D. to get it done, when i'm one novice in linux and advanced user in windows.

The leap from Win to Linux really suck but the help on linux beats what we got in Win. Maybe cause of fewer in linux and a ton of ppl in windows.

Thanks for the help and tips.

-Tor

Believe it or not I got a Nvidia 670 GTX on my new rig that has trouble with Ubuntu and Mint. The graphic card doesn't bother Opensuse though.

Volunteers who wrote Linux drivers do not get paid the way those do for the M$ so there is a lag when the technology is new.

However a Linux user can do something if the screen doesn't work while a Windows user can sit and wait for the right driver to come along.
    Linux user started Jun 2004 - No. 361921
    Using a Linux live CD to clone XP
    To install Linux and keep Windows MBR untouched
    Adding extra Linux & Doing it in a lazy way
    A Grub menu booting 100+ systems & A "Howto" to install and boot 145 systems
    Just cloning tips Just booting tips A collection of booting tips

Judge asked Linux "You are being charged murdering Windoze by stabbing its heart with a weapon, what was it?" Replied Linux "A Live CD"