Am I static or dynamic?

Thread: Am I static or dynamic?

Unhappy Am I static or dynamic?

How do you tell if your ip information is static or dynamic?

I'm running RH 7.2

Well you can allways try to check the /etc/rc.config, or rc.d, not sure how it is in RH, check for the network configuration
    If is specified an ip address its static, if not its dynamic
    M3rlin

Re: Am I static or dynamic?

Originally posted by StanFrancisco

I'm running RH 7.2
    Have you already set up the networking? Is it working? How did you set it up?
    If you want to know if your ISP gives you a static or dynamic IP, call them and ask.

how do you get ur internet, is it through a cable modem???

these days, most cable users actually have a static ip address now. because this is how most isp's work:

your modem has a mac address, and everytime it connects to your isp, (whenever u switch the modem on) your isp assigns an ip.

well usually, their dhcp server holds a list of all the modem mac addresses. and next to the mac address, is listed an ip address

so everytime a modem with a certain mac address comes online, it assigns the ip for that mac address (which wont change if its listed next to the mac address, unless changed by ur isp)

but your isp might not work that way.

does ur ip change, monitor it for a week, if it changes its dynamic, if it doesn't then chances are its probably (but not certainly) static
    OssT - Torrents for Open Source Software
    We mirror Terabytes worth of data and offer it as downloadable torrents seeded by our 100mbps servers.

Unless you've paid for an ip, you don't actually own it, so its technically dynamic.
    Unless you're using it internally and one of the reserved ranges eg 192.168.x.x.
    As far as your connection to your isp goes, as above, its dynamic, although the isp may give you the same ip for a long time, BUT there's no guarantee it will not change.
    HTH
    Cheers
    Chris

i will help you..

Quote Originally Posted by StanFrancisco View Post

I'm running RH 7.2
    If you want to find whether your ip address is static or dynamic,you can turn off your modem or reset it then switch on your modem , if the ip address will not change then it is a static ip address. If the ip address will change then it is dyamic ip address.You can check your ip address this site ip-details.com.