VNC viewer presents black screen along with GNOME settings daemon errors.

Thread: VNC viewer presents black screen along with GNOME settings daemon errors.

VNC viewer presents black screen along with GNOME settings daemon errors.

Hello folks,

I'm remotely connecting through VNC to two machines, each running Red Hat 5.9, from mine which is running Windows 7. Both connections were working well before. However, now one of the machines only gives me a black screen, with a pop up that says:

"There was an error starting GNOME Settings Daemon. Some things, such as themes, sounds, or background settings may not work correctly. The last error message was: Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken."

I've searched all over the net for a solution to no avail. One thing I tried was deleting the following files in hopes of resetting my gnome environment but this did not help either.

Files: /tmp/orbit-<user>, .gconf, .gconfd, .gnome, .gnome2 and .metacity.

I have attached the two vncviewer log files, one from the connection that still works well and the other from the one that gives me the above errors, named good and bad respectively.

I'm new to the forum so I apologize if I omitted any relevant files or debug information. I would greatly appreciate any help you can send my way.

Miguel.
    Attached Files Attached Files