Need recommendations for install

Thread: Need recommendations for install

Hybrid View

Need recommendations for install

I am currently taking an intro to UNIX/Linux and I am really enjoying it. My question is what is the best version of UNIX/Linux with X Window to install on my computer? Do you have any recommendations for books that will better my knowledge too? The book my school is using is Harly Hahn's Guide to UNIX and Linux.

Thank you! Jason

[QUOTE=jasonlink;895373. My question is what is the best version of UNIX/Linux with X Window to install on my computer? [/QUOTE]

For you, it will probably be a GNU/Linux, since Unix is proprietary (costs money).
    The best disribution? The question has been asked thousands of times, the only answer is the one that suits you best, and only you can decide. I'd suggest starting with something popular, Mint, Ubuntu, Debian, OpenSuse . . . after you've been using it for a while you can investigate the others.

Distrowatch ( http://distrowatch.com/ ) has a list of distros. It is possible to install a number of different OSs on the same machine, and Saikee's posts on this forum will guide you if you want to do that.
    Do you have any recommendations for books that will better my knowledge too? The book my school is using is Harly Hahn's Guide to UNIX and Linux.
    "Unix in a Nutshell" and" Linux in a Nutshell" (O'Reilly Press) are good for reference, and can be found 2nd hand for very little.

Basically you learn by doing. Get in there and try things. And don't forget to use the man pages installed on your Linux system.

+1 impert
    + need to know hardware specs, what you expect from distro before recommendation

My suggestion is to go to DistroWatch.com and download the most popular Distros, Install the first one you make an ISO for., try it for a while then insatall one of the other ones. And like Impert said, "get in there and try things." Don't worry if you make a mistake, That's part of the fun.