Hello everyone,

I had an issue a while ago which I've recently rectified. I had a motherboard which the manufacturer stated it supported the CPUs I was buying it for but they neglected to include the fact that only the last revision of 3 revisions supported the CPUs I had.

Anyway, I replaced the motherboard with one that is guaranteed to support the CPUs I have.

So my ECC errors are a thing of the past. However, I am still experiencing random freezing. Instead of either a kernel panic or just crashing an application - due to uncorrected ECC I assumed - it just plain ol locks up.

I want to try and log what is causing the freeze or what I can do to try and rectify the problem. I'm not getting any entries in the logs and all of my hardware seems to be working fine.

I have tried my two Opteron 2389s and that didn't resolve the issue. I tried my 8x1G DIMMs of DDR2 ECC RAM and that didn't resolve the issue. I don't have another PCI express video card I can use to test and the only other motherboard I have doesn't support my CPUs and has other issues.

Setup:
Tyan S2915-E
2 x Opteron 2435
4 X 4GB Hynix memory
SATA 250G HDD
XFX ATI Radeo HD 6750
USB 1TB External HDD
USB 4TB External HDD
Logitech keyboard and mouse < 1 year old have others but haven't tried them
Vanilla install of Slackware64 14.0 due to SSD failure...less than a year out of my OCZ SSD.