Hello all,

I'm DEFINITELY a newb when it comes to linux. I have a machine that I don't use that currently has XP on it. I kind of want to convert it completely to linux (I don't use it for anything else, and everything on it has been backed up). I'm admittedly NOT all that computer savvy (but trying to be).

Anyways, I'm looking for a little help getting started. I started by downloading a Live CD of ubuntu 12.04. My computer doesn't want to boot it from the CD drive, so I went through the steps that it has you go through to install it inside Windows. It always ends with an error " NoneType object has no attribute 'get_info'." Googling this has led me to numerous threads and whatnot saying to try various alternative methods, but none of those have worked, and I get the same message trying a different flavor of Linux.

Can anyone help me out? Like I said, I don't even care about keeping dual boot, or running from a Live CD. I think I just want to completely get rid of Windows and only run Linux on this machine. I have another computer for work that has Windows, but I also use it for personal use, so I really don't care if this other machine is Linux only. Does anyone have a link to a good guide for making a complete switch, or just feel like helping me out? Remember, I'm a little slow, so just assume I need detailed instructions

Thank You!!!