Config files

Thread: Config files

Config files

Hy,
    I have at my office an old server running fedora 6. t's a mail server...The bosses decided that we should upgrade it, and they bought a new server. Now i have to configure the new server. I found some infos on howtoforge , but i don't know where to retrieve the info (from the old server) needed to configure the new server.
    So my question is where to find all the info i need in the old server to configure the new one ?

Without knowing which mail or other services currently running we can not provide much help. In general most configuration files are located in /etc.

I would suggest running CentOS instead of Fedora in an office environment.

Yes,
    I also prefer CentOs ... and this new server will be on cent os, but the old one is on fedora.
    All i can provide is that is running webmin and i see a refference on qmail.
    Also what is bugging me is that the keyboard's led flash one at the time and i can't imput nothing in there...
    I want to say that this server was put up by this old networ admin whom now is dead
    and i have to take over ...
    I know windows, but linux ... heh ...
    And i guess now is a good time to start learning ...

Please help me

What I would do (mainly using Debian but should work on any system):
    1) Clone the old system and copy it into the new server.
    2) Upgrade new server using yum
    3) Take care of errors & problems, one by one.
    This is a short version, you probably need much more details.
    Just let me hear what people think about this and we'll go on from there.
    In pingvino veritas!

Yes, but i don't want to do that ... because i also want to change the distro.
    Nou it's fedora.
    I want to use CentOS as michaelk pointed out, in a office enviroment, centos is more stable.

Where to get my info to set up my new server ...
    Fedora 6 is the actual distro on the server.
    Thank you

Oh sorry, missed that switching distro.
    Ok, what you really need to do is find out what the server is used for. Is it only a mail server or used for other stuff as well?
    Ask your bosses they should know. Also, replacing an old server is a good time to get rid of old not-used-anymore seervices & stuff. So check out what it is used for and configure those services only.
    For qmail, which I believe is the mailserver running, checkout qmail.org lots of info and liks there.
    I also found http://www.qmailrocks.org/ looks nice.
    (Never used qmail myself, can't guarantee the quality of any of those sites.)

Basic information needed to set up a mail server:
    Server name
    Domain name
    Additional domains to handle email for
    Accounts - good time to clear out old accounts!
    Mailbox format to use
    ... and then of course there are tons of options for memory, security, spam-control etc but get it up and running first, configure that afterwards.

Webmin is a tool for server management. You don't have to use it but it might be convenient.
    If you want to keep using Webmin then configure everything through Webmin! Things you manually enter in config files might not be kept by Webmin - again, never really used Webmin myself so this I do not know for sure. But it is very common for GUI's to work this way.

Last, what exactly do you mean by "Also what is bugging me is that the keyboard's led flash one at the time and i can't imput nothing in there"
    Is that the keyboard attached directly to old or new server?
    Can you login via ssh to that server?
    In pingvino veritas!