WInXP cannot access mepis11 files and folders

Thread: WInXP cannot access mepis11 files and folders

Hybrid View

WInXP cannot access mepis11 files and folders

I've a new install of mepis11 following a disc problem. The Linux PC is networked to a WinXP PC via a router exactly as it was (successfully) before the new install.

The Linux machine can read everything I want Ok from the XP machine, but the XP machine cannot now read from the Linux machine. All it sees is a short list of linux folder names which remain inert.

I have replaced the new config.lst with the previous one which worked just fine, so I doubt the problem is there.

I guess something else need setting on the Linux machine, but I need help here.

Have you enabled the folders to be shared?
    Linux user started Jun 2004 - No. 361921
    Using a Linux live CD to clone XP
    To install Linux and keep Windows MBR untouched
    Adding extra Linux & Doing it in a lazy way
    A Grub menu booting 100+ systems & A "Howto" to install and boot 145 systems
    Just cloning tips Just booting tips A collection of booting tips

Judge asked Linux "You are being charged murdering Windoze by stabbing its heart with a weapon, what was it?" Replied Linux "A Live CD"

Quote Originally Posted by saikee View Post
    Have you enabled the folders to be shared?
    I believe so, but I'm unsure as to what the small icons really signify.

But, at present the router doesn't even see the DCHP address of the linux machine, although it did so briefly yesterday once I set it to "automatically detect proxy configuration" - which it still says it is.

If you can see the folders that means a communication has been established.

If you can't access it there may be something to do with how the folder is shared. Every file in Linux has an ownership. Right click the Linux folder to check the property of the folder to see how it is shared.
    Linux user started Jun 2004 - No. 361921
    Using a Linux live CD to clone XP
    To install Linux and keep Windows MBR untouched
    Adding extra Linux & Doing it in a lazy way
    A Grub menu booting 100+ systems & A "Howto" to install and boot 145 systems
    Just cloning tips Just booting tips A collection of booting tips

Judge asked Linux "You are being charged murdering Windoze by stabbing its heart with a weapon, what was it?" Replied Linux "A Live CD"

All the folders in question indicate Shared. Under Users it states All Users. In the list of shared folders they all have a tick in the Samba column, and a red prohibition sign under NFS.

So that all looks OK I guess?