The original post to this can be found at:
http://blog.banksnetworking.com/2013/03/26/kindlehack/

kindlehack.jpg
First step you’ll need to do on a Debian based system like Ubuntu is download Calibre, mtp-tools, and mtpfs. So from a terminal line do the following:

Sudo apt-get install calibre mtp-tools mtpfs

That should do it. For RPM distributions like Fedora, RedHat and Opensuse these should be available in the main repositories as well. I’m not sure about pacman or Gentoo repos so please comment and let us all know.

Next make a mount directory.

mkdir kindlefire

After that I wrote a quick little script that you can run every time. I named it kindlemount and do the following.

touch kindlemount

chmod u+x kindlemount

That made the file and made the script executable. Now you want to open the file in whatever editing software you use and put in the following:

#!/bin/bash
sudo mtp-detect
sudo mtpfs -o allow_other ~/kindlefire

That’s it. Using ./kindlemount when your Kindle is attached should mount it under kindlemount for you to copy files over to it whenever you want.

HOLD ON A SECOND THOUGH. Before you run the script to mount you Kindle notice that Calibre has built in mtp support since a month after the Fire HD came out so you will be able to see and convert and send files over to the Kindle with one small problem. Only ebook formats and it doesn’t see what’s already been bought on Amazon. “I want to put movies and music on this thing” you might be saying. Well here’s the cool part.

Exit Calibre and run your kindlemount script. In your kindlefire directory you should see the folder Movies, Music, etc. Copy movies and music to it and look at them with with a video viewing app on your device (WARNING: You may need to download one like MoboPlayer which will view almost anything).

Now, to backup your books start Calibre again. This time tell it to Add books from directories…Multiple books. Select ~/kindlefire/Books as the directory and watch the magic happen!