Charter Ethernet Cable Modem w/ Ubuntu 13.4 ?

Thread: Charter Ethernet Cable Modem w/ Ubuntu 13.4 ?

Charter Ethernet Cable Modem w/ Ubuntu 13.4 ?

Hi,

I have Ubuntu 13.4 installed on my laptop, and I can't get it to recognize the Charter Ethernet cable modem.
    Any thoughts? I'm a newbie, but if it's really simple, I'd try doing it with the Terminal.
    Thanks!

Well, are you trying to connect via wired or wireless. If so can you tell if that network adapter has been recognized?

What is the make/model of your laptop and post the output of the terminal command lspci.

Hi Michaelk,
    Wired, Charter account cable ethernet 3 gig download live streaming.
    Network adaptor recognized? No;*(
    On my Dell inspiron, the ethernet cable was recognized automatically. It's a dual partition of Kubuntu and Vista.
    The other two laptops didn't recognize anything:
    Toshiba Sattelite L305-S5907 and
    HP Compaq 8510w

That's all I can tell you at present.

Thanks!

So all of the laptops are hard wired.
    What operating systems are running on the Toshiba and HP?

What about a router? If you are not using a router you can only connect one computer to the MODEM.

Hi All,

The Dell is connected to the modem for wired 3 gig live streaming cable ethernet. On the Dell I have Vista and Kubuntu partitioned. On the Dell, it recognises the cable ethernet automatically, but not on the other two. I am not using a router; according to Charter, you only need a router for wi-fi, which I'm not using. Also, Charter tells me that it doesn't matter which computer I'm using; I can plug the wired ethernet cable to any computer. (The toshiba is down now, but on my HP, i'm using Xubuntu/Win 7.) I wonder why the others aren't recognized.

Thanks very much!
    Last edited by noderrida; 09-29-2013 at 02:24 AM.

Most cable ISPs home service only provide one dynamic IP address based upon the connected devices MAC. The MAC is stored in volatile memory in the MODEM. Therefore only one computer can directly connect to a MODEM at a time.

Disconnect the DELL, reset the MODEM and turn on/restart one of your other computers. It should connect but now if you reconnect the Dell it will not. The only way to connect multiple devices is using a router or via internet connection sharing using a computer with multiple ethernet adapters.