mounting partitions/directories

Thread: mounting partitions/directories

mounting partitions/directories

Hello, I am new to Linux. I am taking a intro to Linux class and have a few problems. I am using Fedora 17 virtually using vMWare 9. I have to do everything in the command lines.

First part I had to create two partitions sdb1 and sdb2. I created those and formatted them using mkfs.ext4. The screenshot bellow shows the partitions.

http://dev.forums.justlinux.forums.r.../2013/10/2.png

I think I did that right. The next part is mounting.

This is where I am stuck.

2. To make the partitions available, they must each be mounted on a directory in the filesystem. Create two directories in the /mnt directory, one called drv1, the other drv2.
    3. Mount /dev/sdb1 to the drv1 directory.
    4. Mount /dev/sdb2 to the drv2 directory.

I did make the two directories drv1 and drv2. I changed directories to mount and typed mkdir drv1 then typed mkdir drv2. After I did that I typed ls and they showed up. The actual mounting of sdb1 to the drv1 directory and sdb2 to the drv2 is where I'm having problems.

Any help with this would be great.

Thanks Mike

I figured it out. I missed a space between mount /dev and the mnt before drv1. So mount /dev /mnt/drv1

n612ua,

Welcome to Justlinix!

Glad you figured it out yourself.

Mounting a hardware on a filing system is a standard feature of Linux. In a way it alows you to talk to the hardware, so enjoy.
    Linux user started Jun 2004 - No. 361921
    Using a Linux live CD to clone XP
    To install Linux and keep Windows MBR untouched
    Adding extra Linux & Doing it in a lazy way
    A Grub menu booting 100+ systems & A "Howto" to install and boot 145 systems
    Just cloning tips Just booting tips A collection of booting tips

Judge asked Linux "You are being charged murdering Windoze by stabbing its heart with a weapon, what was it?" Replied Linux "A Live CD"