How to change user to superuser in andLinux?

Thread: How to change user to superuser in andLinux?

Thumbs up How to change user to superuser in andLinux?

I've never used linux before today, but I needed to run some software not available on windows so I installed andLinux and the command line at least seems to work. The problem began when I ran my program and it said:

error while loading shared libraries: libplotter.so.2: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

I ran synaptic but it couldn't connect to download this so I downloaded libplot2c2_2.6-0ubuntu1_i386.deb manually and after looking online for how to install a package I typed:

dpkg -i libplot2c2_2.6-0ubuntu1_i386.deb

and got the response:

dpkg: requested operation requires superuser privilege

So my question is: how can I become a "superuser"? I'm the only user on the system as far as I know (since I only installed it just a few hours ago) - I assumed I would be as super as you get, but obviously not.

Two methods

(1) Special to Ubuntu familes - All system-related commands can be issued as a temporary root user by preceeding "sudo"
    for example if you want
    Code:
    dpkg -i libplot2c2_2.6-0ubuntu1_i386.deb
    in Ubuntu then type
    Code:
    sudo dpkg -i libplot2c2_2.6-0ubuntu1_i386.deb
    Ubuntu will then demand a user password. Ubuntu differs from the rest by "removing" the root user in the system. The system-related commands can be issued as long as "sudo" is attached to the front.

(2) Standard Linux allows a root user created at the installation. An ordinary user can become a root user by command
    Code:
    su
    followed by the root password. He will remain the root user until he signs off with the command
    Code:
    exit
    Under the normal circumstance a Ubuntu user only becomes a root user at each command with "sudo" attach to the front and reverts back a normal user on completion of it. However Ubuntu can allow that user to remain the root user (no need to use sudo) if he issue this command
    Code:
    sudo su
    If you use Ubuntu try to adhere to its recommendations which are designed to made the OS safe. The less you need to be in root the safer the OS. A root user can potentially destroy the whole OS (and other OSes in the PC) by accident and this is the power of Linux so use it with care.
    Linux user started Jun 2004 - No. 361921
    Using a Linux live CD to clone XP
    To install Linux and keep Windows MBR untouched
    Adding extra Linux & Doing it in a lazy way
    A Grub menu booting 100+ systems & A "Howto" to install and boot 145 systems
    Just cloning tips Just booting tips A collection of booting tips

Judge asked Linux "You are being charged murdering Windoze by stabbing its heart with a weapon, what was it?" Replied Linux "A Live CD"

Years ago, to the horror of almost everyone, I used to log in as root. When they came out with sudo, I no longer did that. It no longer was necessary.

In addition to the ordinary user account many Linux distros are still in parallel offering su account and some need it this way especially for utilities, Live CD and small distros like Puppy.

The Slax and Slackware families are good for experienced users and log in a root is pretty standard. Since one cannot damage a read-only system I think Live CD is fine with root users. However learning to survive with sudo is a necessity to go with the trend as many distros like Ubuntu no longer support su account.
    Linux user started Jun 2004 - No. 361921
    Using a Linux live CD to clone XP
    To install Linux and keep Windows MBR untouched
    Adding extra Linux & Doing it in a lazy way
    A Grub menu booting 100+ systems & A "Howto" to install and boot 145 systems
    Just cloning tips Just booting tips A collection of booting tips

Judge asked Linux "You are being charged murdering Windoze by stabbing its heart with a weapon, what was it?" Replied Linux "A Live CD"