Noob-proof HPLIP installation

Thread: Noob-proof HPLIP installation

Noob-proof HPLIP installation

Hi all. I'm a first time user of Linux and have recently installed Wary Puppy 5.5. I have tried to install my printer but to no avail . It appears that the required driver (HP Deskjet 1510 all in one) is missing from CUPS. However, I understand HPLIP is an alternative way of installing printers/scanners but I haven't got a clue how to go about installing HPLIP.

I understand there are several 'how-to' guides out there but I find that even these are too advanced for my understanding of Linux.

I would very much appreciate if someone could explain to me in a simple step-by-step guide on how to install HPLIP and from there, find and install my printer.

Any help towards the issue will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks for reading

I don't know what Puppy is based on but the installer seems smart enough to know.

Download it from http://hplipopensource.com/hplip-web/downloads.html and follow the instructions. http://hplipopensource.com/hplip-web...all/index.html

Somewhere in your menu system should be a "Terminal" or "Console"...open that up and you'll get the great and powerful Linux command line.

Assuming you downloaded the installer to /home/YOURUSERNAME/Downloads, type:

(NOTE: The "$" is just shown here so it looks like your screen, too. Don't actually type $)

$ cd /home/YOURUSERNAME/Downloads
    $ sh hplip-(WHATEVER THE FILE NAME IS)

Follow the instructions it prompts you with.

Thank you for your prompt reply, happybunny, but when i run the hplip file from console i get the error message: "/hplip-install: line 2: python: command not found:
    This seems to me that i need to fully install Python before proceeding with hplip install. There is a list here of the dependencies needed for hplip to install. My plan is to install the python files first and go from there. I managed to install the 'python-devel' file with ease because it is a straight-forward .rpm. However the other two, 'python-xml' & 'python2x' seem to be zip files. Do you know if theres a way of extracting these files and installing them? Or whether i need to get a .rpm for these files too?

Sorry if these questions seem a little simple but im really lost with Linux, being used to using windows platform. Thanks again

Ok...

First, try not to go out to the web and download RPM's and packages that are in the package management of your distro (puppy in your case).

Like Apple or Droid phones, Linux has (and has always had!) a package management system.

Your Linux machine has a list of repositories with officially supported app's and all the dependencies you need.

For instance, to install Firefox, I simply type "yum install firefox", and my Linux distro goes out to the official repo's, downloads firefox, figures out dependancies and installs them, too.

So for python, don't download the rpm, but instead "yum install python".

Depending on what Puppy is based on, you maybe have other package management tools.

Fedora/Redhat uses YUM
    SUSE uses YAST
    Debian uses APT
    Slackware uses ??? Gosh I forget.

So if you know what Linux distro is based on you can go from there.

http://puppylinux.com/development/pa...management.htm
    Last edited by happybunny; 01-15-2014 at 05:19 PM.