Help Plea - Just installed RHEL 6.2 - no connection, no ipconfig, no netconfig

Thread: Help Plea - Just installed RHEL 6.2 - no connection, no ipconfig, no netconfig

Help Plea - Just installed RHEL 6.2 - no connection, no ipconfig, no netconfig

Hi,

I have just installed Red Hat Enterprise 6.2 on my home laptop, after years of lamenting Windows. Somehow my daughter trashed the machine, and an install ensued.

Now I knew this would be painful, but not as painful as it haas already been....

However, I have no connectivity, have worked out how to get to the terminal as root, but ipconfig is non existent, as is netconfig..... as is my old hard drive.

Any suggestions would be most welcome, thanks

ipconfig is a windows command the linux equivalent is ifconfig. Please post the make / model of the laptop. Without knowing anything about the hardware it is difficult to provide suggestions.

By the way RHEL is not really a good choice for laptops. It is better suited for servers and desktop / workstations. It may not have the latest support for current hardware. In addition if you do not register for paid support you will not be able to update it with security fixes etc.

You might want to try Linux mint or if you want to stick to something similar to RHEL then try Fedora.

Wow! Thanks so much for your reply!

Good advice, MichaelK. I have installed Fedora 20, it has sorted out screen split problems as well.

I can ping 127.0.0.1

I found advice on installing Russian Fedora Repo.

The laptop is a Lenovo G780.

The wireless network adapter is a Broadcom BCM4313
    Kernel driver in use is: bcma-pci-bridge.
    Subsystem: Broadcom Corporation Device 0587.

I think I need a lesson in wireless connectivity?

No networks are 'found'.
    I manually add under 'connect to Hidden Network' the wifi connection as this is about all I am amble to configure; alas, never able to connect.

If you could be as helpful as your previous post, I am sure we will be 'in'.

Many thanks
    R

Ok, my resolve to never return to a windows machine is still there.... however, a dead end on all posts and links I have gone to mainly due to the following:

NOTE: I have no internet connection on the machine...... most posts refer to an http download. I have to use another machine and flash drive.
    While working through this very good post: http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=239922

Problems are:
    cannot retrieve metalink for repository fedora/20/x86_64

modprobe: fatal: module wl not found fedora

So, any ideas? Much appreciated - anyone who has the slightest idea as to where to progress.

Thanks in advance
    R.

BMC WiFi issue

from a terminal/CLI try
    Code:
    lspci -vvnm| grep 14e4
    This will provide the full pci id (the 14e4 is the manufacture id portion of the pciid) for further rearch.

also check out http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=239922

Thanks to all you wonderful folk out there!

Problem has been sorted now.

1. Went for Fedora - not Red Hat as advised
    2. Read and scanned the very good post at: http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=239922
    3. Found that the only real way to 'fox' things is a direct link to your ethernet card. I do not think it is possible to do the wireless card Broadcom4313 without a direct connection. Turn off WiFi. Turn on ethernet.
    4. Follow the instructions from the link above - sudo yum update etc.

Once again, thanks to all. No turning back to windows now.......

(Does this need to be marked as closed? Solution?)