Programming with Ubuntu on Chromebook - Does it have it all?

Thread: Programming with Ubuntu on Chromebook - Does it have it all?

Question Programming with Ubuntu on Chromebook - Does it have it all?

Hey forumers,

I'm glad to be here! First post. So let's get straight into it.

I've never extensively used Linux before. I've used Ubuntu a few times, for brief periods (I liked it). So my point is this; I am returning for my MSc in IT, and I WANT a portable laptop to edit and run code.

I do not want to bring my gaming machine of a laptop with me. I just don't want to. A Chromebook fits nicely in a backpack. So I bought one. I should have done more research beforehand, but I realized that I would finish up all my curiosities with the person at the electronic's store. And I used them for a half hour. They told me I could run my tools locally, and all that good stuff. But surprise, you can't! Hah

So I have learned that Ubuntu is something many Chromebook users use. I was thinking, would a Chromebook running Ubuntu be good for programming? I do web dev stuff; Rails, HTML, I use notepad++, all the good stuff. If I wanted a lightweight laptop to edit/run code, and store my tools locally (or use a usb), will running Ubuntu on my Chromebook accomplish this?

The specs I am running:

Chrome OS™ - Intel® Celeron® 2955U processor (1.4GHz) - 2GB DDR3L memory - 32GB solid state drive - 11.6" HD widescreen multi-touch LCD display (1366 x 768) - 10-point multi-touch control - Intel® HD graphics - stereo speakers - HD audio - webcam - Chrome OS™ keyboard - Wireless - Bluetooth® - HDMI® - USB 3.0 - card reader - 7.5-hour battery

(I just ripped the specs from Acer.com)

So to condense all of this information; I program; I go to school; I want portability better than a regular-sized laptop; I want to edit and run code; I want to do this on my Chromebook whilst running Ubuntu (or another GMU/Linux distro).

Any help is extremely helpful guys. Thanks

I am not a programmer but wanted to reply.

For a long time I used tiny laptops because I loved the portability but sacrificed power and finally got sick of it.

So I compromised with this http://www.notebookcheck.net/Review-....106883.0.html

While it is still very small compared to this massive work laptop I'm typing on, it has a "real" CPU AND fits 32gigs (the link above is wrong) of RAM (I have 16gigs).

Lenovo is historically good at supporting Linux and I run Fedora XFCE on it with everything working out of the box.

It is powerful enough that I can run several virtual machines for testing and training, but still have significant battery life (of course it's dependent on what I'm doing that day).

Anyway...while the Chromebooks are cool and I always toy with getting one, they could never do what I need them to do, for me that's needing lots of RAM.

ubuntu is very light weight so u can definetly run it on chromebook
    u also have all the tools u need to code on ubuntu with editors for every language available
    so i think u are good to go