Kernel accidentally moved to trash and no internet

Thread: Kernel accidentally moved to trash and no internet

Kernel accidentally moved to trash and no internet

I'm a fool and I managed to accidentally move the kernel into the trash... I am now obviously unable to boot. grub bootloader obviously gives: 'error 15: file not found'
    I found the following link below to offer good guidance, but I don't have any internet access.

What I have:
    small old cluster using Rocks 2.6.18 (CentOS)
    GNU GRUB 0.97

previous kernel and location:
    /boot/xen.gz-2.6.18-164.6.1.el5

I wondered if I could edit the boot commands to direct grub to the kernel in the trash but I couldn't seem to get that to work (not sure how to get to trash... perhaps this idea is stupid).
    "kernel ~/.local/share/Trash/xen.gz-2.6 ... "

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Otherwise I'll have to find a way to get internet access and start over.

http://askubuntu.com/questions/28099...ng-all-kernels

Old posting. But, if you can boot off a CD or flash memory, install something like Puppy, boot on it, mount the correct partition, and try to move the file using Puppy. While I have not done that exact thing, I have done the equivalent tasks for other reasons.

I realize you may not have a Puppy flash drive so you are back to the basic problem of no Internet. However, if you do not have a Puppy CD or flash drive get one at the first opportunity and keep ti forever (more or less.) Puppy or its equivalent is to a computer user like a hammer to a mechanic or carpenter.

Boot into a live CD (or live USB), mount some systems, chroot into it and install the kernel. After a successful installation of the kernel, unmount the filesystems.

Open Terminal
    Mount the Ubuntu partition: sudo mount /dev/sdXY /mnt
    Mount some special partitions:
    sudo mount --bind /dev /mnt/dev
    sudo mount --bind /proc /mnt/proc
    sudo mount --bind /sys /mnt/sys
    Chroot into the /mnt: sudo chroot /mnt
    (optional) When you are connected to a network, use the DNS servers from your Live environment (otherwise host names can possibly not be resolved):
    cp /etc/resolv.conf /mnt/etc/resolv.conf
    Install the Linux kernel: apt-get install linux-image-generic (no sudo required as you are root after a chroot)
    After a successful installation of the kernel, get out the chroot and unmount some filesystems:
    exit
    sudo umount /mnt/sys
    sudo umount /mnt/proc
    sudo umount /mnt/dev
    sudo umount /mnt
    Reboot and remove CD or USB: sudo reboot