Why are OS's like Free BSD, Ios and Mac included When referring to Linux?

Thread: Why are OS's like Free BSD, Ios and Mac included When referring to Linux?

Why are OS's like Free BSD, Ios and Mac included When referring to Linux?

Why areA while back someone asked me why Free BSD, Ios and Mac were included with the Distros on DistroWatch.

Please note Ios is Linux based(I E a derivative of Free BSD) and Mac is based on Free BSD
    Free BSD is not Linux and it is not Unix. All of these OS's are Unix like OS's and because Linux is also a Unix like OS they are all grouped together. Hope this solves some of the questions.

Yes, Microsoft really is doomed
    Its cash cow is drying up while Apple and Google do the innovating
    The final irony is that both Apple and Google have based their operating systems on UNIX, which was literally a gift to the industry from Bell Labs and Novell. Because UNIX was originally developed to manage phone switches, it was always fast and highly secure (i.e., spam and virus free). With UNIX at the core, Apple makes money on hardware and Google makes money on advertising. There is no room at the party for Microsoft. It now must try to reinvent itself without killing its tired golden goose.

a

AGREED, AND MOT OF THE PATENTS THAT MICROSOFT CLAIMS ON ANDROID ARE INVALID TOO.

macos and freebsd are derived from unix. many people dont know it that mcos is actually built from unix

i think the new Microsoft CEO is realizing that there are problems with their business model, they have recently made office free for mobile. i still think that Microsoft will remain relevant for the next 10 years or so since they clearly dominate the Enterprise market ith many companies using the Windows OS as their main operating system. Linux has a long way to make a dent in the consumer market especially beyond the IT community. I havent seen many Linux users who are not IT professionals.