Mac Malware problem, please tell me where to go

Thread: Mac Malware problem, please tell me where to go

Mac Malware problem, please tell me where to go

My son called me. Their Mac (which one not known at this time, I will find out ASAP) used up all their verizon internet time way early. They went to the library and it used up 400 MB in 20 minutes. I realize this is not a Mac board, so if anyone can be so kind as to tell me where to go I would appreciate it.

If it were a PC I'd try to find a free URL which would sneak in and look for malware. He has no antivirus or anything was apparently told it was not needed.

I theorize someone is using his machine as a control center for spam or some such. If I had my hands on it, I might find it soon enough. But, he is in the USA and I am not.

Another possibility might be Avast or aVG for macs.

Anyway, if the answer is not obvious any ideas where to go with this problem?

I did some serious digging, and found Bit Defender for Mac. He has 10.6.6. And, they may have it in an online version. But, he can download it and let it run.

Also, he heard Avast for Mac was not good, but admitted they said it was the front end.

So, I am hoping he can make it work with these programs.

Last trip to the library in 20 minutes it used 400 MB. This time in 30 minutes it only used 78 Mb, That sounds as if they sometimes use it and sometimes do not. But, in any case he needs whatever it is out of there.

just format the machine

Hee, hee! He just called me today in Mexico, and he found the problem.

He had absent-mindedly left on one of those news compiler pages with all the headlines from all over the world. And, it automatically reloads completely every few minutes. It eats up a lot of bandwidth for no useful purpose.

I see quite a few of those now, even small town newspapers automatically reload every so many minutes.