installing a distro for a syslog server

Thread: installing a distro for a syslog server

installing a distro for a syslog server

Hi, been a few years (like 8 or 9) since I have been on here....good to be back....I don't tinker around with Linux much these days, but I need to install it to record syslog events...

I originally downloaded Damn Small Linux, but when I tried to configure the syslog config file, I was getting an error that the filesystem was Read Only....I searched across Google and tried some stuff, but couldn't get it to work...so I threw my hands up in the air....can I install DSL to the hard drive so I can save files? What's the point of Knoppix/DSL and these other bootable distros if you can't save anything?...or am I not understanding?

So next, I downloaded Fedora...something I cut my teeth on 10 years ago when it was Redhat....to my surprise it doesn't come with a syslog or rsyslog as its called...I checked to see if it was installed..by doing this command:

Code:
    rpm -q sysklogd syslog-ng rsyslog
    ....and it came back no. How could I install this rpm? I didn't bother searching Google...so if that's the answer, I will do so.

The bottom line is...I just want to install a distro that comes with syslog out of the box and is preferably a lightweight distro (the only thing I need it for is syslog).....I looked into Arch Linux, but I'm not sure.. (i checked the website under packages) it comes installed with syslog....it said it wasn't a part of the Core...

Thanks for the suggestions!

Adrian

If you work with a Linux Live CD you will not be able to change much of its read-only filing system. However if the same distro is installed into a hard drive then you have all freedom to alter what you want.

I would say 98% of the distros out there are installable into a hard disk so it is just a mattter of choice. In any case there is no rule or limit against a user to install as many Linux as one wishes.

My suggestion is jto install a few and find out for your self. Most distros will automatically arrange the existing systems to be booted as choices in addition to their own installations. One partition is needed for a distro and any hard disk can have a minimum of 12 partitions supported by every OS under the sun (from 3 primaries +1 extended that can have any number of logical partitions for a disk using MSDOS partition scheme).
    Linux user started Jun 2004 - No. 361921
    Using a Linux live CD to clone XP
    To install Linux and keep Windows MBR untouched
    Adding extra Linux & Doing it in a lazy way
    A Grub menu booting 100+ systems & A "Howto" to install and boot 145 systems
    Just cloning tips Just booting tips A collection of booting tips

Judge asked Linux "You are being charged murdering Windoze by stabbing its heart with a weapon, what was it?" Replied Linux "A Live CD"