Hi, been a few years (like 8 or 9) since I have been on here....good to be back....I don't tinker around with Linux much these days, but I need to install it to record syslog events...

I originally downloaded Damn Small Linux, but when I tried to configure the syslog config file, I was getting an error that the filesystem was Read Only....I searched across Google and tried some stuff, but couldn't get it to work...so I threw my hands up in the air....can I install DSL to the hard drive so I can save files? What's the point of Knoppix/DSL and these other bootable distros if you can't save anything?...or am I not understanding?

So next, I downloaded Fedora...something I cut my teeth on 10 years ago when it was Redhat....to my surprise it doesn't come with a syslog or rsyslog as its called...I checked to see if it was installed..by doing this command:

Code:
rpm -q sysklogd syslog-ng rsyslog
....and it came back no. How could I install this rpm? I didn't bother searching Google...so if that's the answer, I will do so.

The bottom line is...I just want to install a distro that comes with syslog out of the box and is preferably a lightweight distro (the only thing I need it for is syslog).....I looked into Arch Linux, but I'm not sure.. (i checked the website under packages) it comes installed with syslog....it said it wasn't a part of the Core...

Thanks for the suggestions!

Adrian