kde 3.0 question - Page 2

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: kde 3.0 question

Quote Originally Posted by SpywareDr View Post

thks

it asked for a password and he does not have, he started working here 7 years ago or so, he owns it now, but the system was set up years back as a chain business which does not exist, so i don't know how he can get there now
    tks

Sorry but I'm afraid JustLinux's Forum Rules do not allow its members to assist anyone in the recovery of lost passwords. Due to the open, public nature of this forum, any assistance given to help circumvent security measures, even for legitimate purposes, would be available for unscrupulous individuals to use for illegitimate purposes. This is a risk that JustLinux simply cannot take.

Yes i understand that, it's merely the status of what happened when the path for the a drive was used, that we found, he is taking it to a tech to pull this file off and put it on a flash drive for him, $100.00 probably., at least the path appears to have been going to work. i suppose he will use the linux cd's or dvd's to do this that they use to fix windows systems on permissions they have to work around. I assume who ever first set this system up years ago would be the only one with a potential password, and those people do not exist anymore. Had i know what he was doing months ago, we might have stopped this before it started. It's his system no one elses's but only us here in the proximity of it know that

tks
    Last edited by SpywareDr; 09-17-2014 at 09:24 AM.

Distro

You're welcome.
    For some time i have been wanting to use linux, but never got to it. Should i use mint so i can use a compatible printer scanner, i'd assume i'd have to buy them new, neither are wireless Pinter canon works on win 7 and vista 32 b and 64 b.

Would i be better to buy a laptop preloaded vs installation on a vista tower 32b, or win 7 toshiba laptop 7 64 b,
    Mostly every day use, but i may use ut for real estate office applications, so i don't know what accessories are linux compatible?

I keep hearin linux does not have the hacks that windows does ans updates for security are not an issue?

If you need move rgis to another area , ?

What would i run into trying to install this on either to dual boot, i've heard that's not the best to do because windows updates messes them up?

tks
    Last edited by grapevine; 09-17-2014 at 01:31 PM.

It's easier to boot and run them from a USB key.

A Live CD/DVD or USB flash drive contains a complete bootable computer operating system (OS). When you boot a computer from it, the OS loads into, and then runs from memory instead of a hard drive. This allows you to run an OS without installing it or making any changes to a computer's current configuration.

To create one, download an ISO file containing the OS you want to use, (such as Ubuntu, Slax or Zorin), then use something like ISO Recorder to burn it to a CD/DVD or USB key.

Now boot your computer from this disc/key and your computer will be running that OS instead of the one on its hard drive.

When you're done, simply reboot your PC from the hard drive.

I carry several various versions of Linux on my keychain.

There are hundreds to choose from: http://distrowatch.com/

Top Ten: http://distrowatch.com/dwres.php?resource=major

Thanks
    that sounds like "easy as falling off a log" what do you find with driver issues for printers and scanners? that one has had fot a couple years>?
    tks

It's not easy like it is with Windows.

CUPS Cloud Print

Install CUPS Cloud Print on Ubuntu 14.04

Don't know about a scanner.
    http://linuxdeal.com/printers.php?type=aio

looks like i might have to follow this.

I know i will need new scanner/printer, not sure about wifi, so can one in so called every day windows useage for several years be more happy with 1-10 different distros , how long and confusing will it be, will it work as well in a real estate office environment? I understand it's a wide question and probably been asked several zillion times.

It's not easy like it is with Windows.

CUPS Cloud Print

Install CUPS Cloud Print on Ubuntu 14.04

Don't know about a scanner.

A Windows environment would be a safer bet.
    By safer are you thinking more secure or practical?

Is it that one does not have to shell out the $$$$ for Linux that takes users there?

tks

With relative normal use on vista wi 7 and 8, how much time would it take to get good use on Mint?