installing wireless driver

Thread: installing wireless driver

installing wireless driver

hello everyone.
    i am kind of newbie in linux
    can anyone tell me how can I install my myfi driver onto my linux?
    my wifi card is atheros AR9485WB-EG as I can see from my windows device manager.

thank you

Some people seem to be able to make the drivers work. I never have been able to do so. I have given up, and now simply look for a distro which brings the wireless up from the box. Thus a small HP netbook is running Bodhi since it will run that wireless. I sure don't like Bodhi much but the kids here who don't even read or speak English seem to be able to use it to do their homework.

I used another distro, a one man distro in the past. But he at times stops updating it so changed to Bodhi.

Yes wireless drivers can be a nuisance at times.

Make an empty directory, get into it, then issue these commands:

sudo apt-get install linux-headers-generic build-essential
    wget http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kern...12.2-1.tar.bz2
    tar xvf backports-3.12.2-1.tar.bz2
    cd backports-3.12.2-1
    make defconfig-ath9k
    make
    sudo make install

Turn the pc off and back on, it should work. If it does not, (unlikely, but never mind), issue these two commands:

sudo rmmod ath9k
    sudo modprobe ath9k nohwcrypt=1

Thank you, Johnkingx. But, over the years have spent many hours with such commands, and always a waste of time. So, listening to Einstein about people who try the same thing that never worked, I simply don't bother and look for an OOTB distro.

I assume if I had someone present who could actually spot whatever I am doing wrong, I could get it eventually, as I usually do on most problems. But, when you are one of two people in a village of 12,000 who even know what Linux is, that is not possible.

I have assumed there is some small thing I am missing, but sure have never figured it out. Broadcom seems to be one of the hardest. There aren't many OOTB distros for that, not with any real support.

Hope it works for OP, though. I sure know the frustration involved.