Protecting my wireless from ILLEGAL usage

Thread: Protecting my wireless from ILLEGAL usage

Protecting my wireless from ILLEGAL usage

I live in a small mountain village in Mexico. My Telmex Internet service is actually faster than Earthlink.net back in texas.

But, most folks cannot afford Internet. So a substantial number of young people from my neighborhood sit on my retaining wall with their wi-fi telephones and use my wireless service. One young lad told me that Android has a key sniffing program, so I can't keep them out without shutting off the wireless completely.

I actually don't care about the usage. But I do care if they are connecting to something which brings the law enforcement down on me. Use your imagination...

I love the Mexican people, and I love my neighbors. If they are clean, I do not care if they use it all the time. They will get a job and save for a wi-fi telephone, but can't pay the $30 a month for Internet, or in some cases phone service to their house is simply not available.

So, I was wondering if I can sniff my own wireless modem. It is an Echolife HG 520b, owned by Telmex.

I have used a sniffer before. Back in the early days of this century. IBM.net support folks wrote documentation so bad for Linux I finally had to sniff windows to find out which of the many asterisks and brackets and parenthesis in their examples actually mattered when I tried to connect. (Answer -- none of them actually)

I used Ethereal, but my apt-get message says it has been replaced by wireshark.

At this time, I don't need a detailed help. A summary can get me started.

If that is it is possible to sniff my own wireless modem from my laptop which sets next to the modem.

Any thoughts? I hit a lot of Google links, and there was a lot of stuff, but nothing seemed to address my specific problem.

I posted this tonight, but tomorrow will be traveling to renew my residency papers. Thanks.

do you use the wifi or the Lan from that modem?

if the wifi - can you change the pass-code, say monthly?.
    - on some random day in each month. ..

that would, also depend on how many devices, that you use on the wifi, yourself,
    - as to whether this is even convenient to do.

rather than all that trouble, to sniff out your own signal. ..
    Last edited by Pierre2; 03-04-2015 at 09:54 PM. Reason: typo

I have 3 computers and a tablet. I am the principal user, but as I stated, many young people here simply don't have Internet. So, if I can let them use it without risk i will.

I use cable for 1 of the three, and wi-fi for the other three. Though three of those four are seldom used, only when a friend and her little brothers visit me.

I am aware I can change the password. But if I were going to do that, I might as well simply disable the wireless which means good users are locked out without a real reason.

Or, simply turn the modem off when I am not going to be using it for a while. Same deal. I want to let the kids use it IF they aren't doing anything which can bring fire and smoke down on my head. All it takes is one sickie.

I see sniffing my own modem as the best solution, and not all the time either. Just a sample now and then to see if I have a problem. If I can sniff it, which is the question.

Yes, they supply many cybercafes with the same service I have. Sorry to miss the posting long ago.