just another newbee with a silly question

Thread: just another newbee with a silly question

just another newbee with a silly question

hi all, clas here... installed a dual boot with win7 and mint 17.3 yesterday...doing well with it and trying to be intelligent. when i installed off bootable iso i burned, i picked install alongside win7. no problems. however, i want to find out where the heck it installed..hahah..i am no newbee to computers and i have looked like crazy and cannot find where it is. i have main ssd with two partitions..c and an empty 45g. plus a 2nd hd with clone of c and then a stuff partition for videos, etc. have looked and looked for linux and cannot find it...ideas? i feel really silly asking this...thanks

I always have ideas, but they may not be any good.

I use a bootable version of Puppy Linux. It is a basic tool to me like a hammer for a carpenter. I usually keep a bootable version on CD, mostly because I can't seem to avoid grabbing flash memory which is built up and using it for photos or something like that.

Puppy works great as a live CD or live flash. You boot on it, and it loads completely in RAM. Typical size may be well under 200MB. It only talks to HD when you specifically tell it to mount that partition, and you can easily unmount it.When you shut down, it will only save on HD if you let it, and it is not necessary.

If you are able to make it work, you should be able to see everything on your HD. But sometimes Linux gives files a different name. Look at your live Puppy CD and you will see typical file names.

Right now, maybe you don't want to take the time. But, I would recommend to all newbies to learn how to use Puppy live CD or flash. It is almost a universal tool box of a distro. In the long term, knowing Puppy is a real useful skill.

There are many versions of Puppy. I just looked at my current version, and it is Puppy Tahr 6.0, though probably the others will work fine. I am not used to the others except earlier versions I used in past years on simpler computers.

Puppy is actually a complete distro. They have working apps of every kind, designed to be minimal in size. But, you can add almost anything on Puppy. It's just that when you do, it won't be a minimal distro any more.

I have been using Linux since late 1999, so that must be, um, 16 years this month? But, one is never exempt from extreme stupidity, trust me on this. Some of us may have more than our share of such talents.

The last time I used Puppy, I chose to go through /boot and eliminate a large number of duplicate files for the different kernels and related files. By accident I sent the kernel listed in the boot file, to trash, I think it was. Bad mistake, and it wouldn't boot, of course.

With Puppy, I booted on Puppy, opened the Linux partition, found the kernel file, and moved it back again. At this moment I forget where it was, but at that time I knew which is all that counted.