How to select a monitor? 4K or 2K?

Thread: How to select a monitor? 4K or 2K?

How to select a monitor? 4K or 2K?

Hi all,

I'm prepared to upgrade my 24" Samsung monitor/display, 1920x1080, which has been running several years. I shall use the display for daily office work, no gaming nor graphic editing. My option is 27" display but wonder whether go 4K or 2K. For color I prefer 4K but the fonts will be too small to read documents and web browsing. I have no pre-set budget.

Please give me some advice for its selection. Thanks in advance.

Regards
    satimis

To make text and other items larger (or smaller) in Windows, right-click the Desktop and select "Screen resolution", click the "Make text and other items larger or smaller". Then select "Smaller - 100% (default)", "Medium - 125%" or "Larger - 150%" and click Apply. You can also click the "Set custom text size (DPI) link on the left for even more options.

Note that these instructions are specifically for Windows 7, but XP on up also have similar DPI settings.

Quote Originally Posted by SpywareDr View Post
    To make text and other items larger (or smaller) in Windows, right-click the Desktop and select "Screen resolution", click the "Make text and other items larger or smaller". Then select "Smaller - 100% (default)", "Medium - 125%" or "Larger - 150%" and click Apply. You can also click the "Set custom text size (DPI) link on the left for even more options.

Note that these instructions are specifically for Windows 7, but XP on up also have similar DPI settings.
    Hi,

Thanks for your advice.

I do the same in Linux.

Lately I visited a computer shop and the sales demonstrated to me the 4K and 2K monitors with IPS panel. For reading documents and web browsing 2K monitor looked better.

Regards
    satimis

I have the following two ~24-inch Dell monitors running in front of me right now:

P2415Q - 4K (UHD 3840x2160), AH-IPS, Pixel Pitch 0.13725mmx0.13725mm

P2416D - 2K (WQHD 2560x1440), IPS, Pixel Pitch 0.205mm x 0.2050mm

The "4K" (UHD) is hands down my favorite. It's ideal for viewing highly detailed images and multiple pages in a tiled format.

The "2K" (WQHD) is also a good monitor but, it only has the same number of pixels as my Samsung Galaxy Note 4's 5.7-inch screen ... stretched out to fill the Dell's 23.8-inch screen.

In my book, the higher the resolution and lower the pixel pitch, the better.

Hi,

I prefer the monitor size : 25" - 27"

I'm now looking at following models:-

1. Dell UP2516D - 25"
    Optimal resolution: 2560 x 1440 @ 60Hz
    Pixel Pitch: 0.216 mm x 0.216 mm
    http://www1.la.dell.com/vc/en/corp/p...monitor&s=corp

2. Dell U2515H - 25"
    Optimal resolution: 2560 x 1440 at 60Hz
    Pixel Pitch: 0.216 mm ( DPI: 117)
    http://www1.la.dell.com/sr/en/corp/p...monitor&s=corp

3. ASUS 25" PB258Q LED Monitor -- AH-IPS Panel
    Native Resolution: 2560 x 1440
    Pixel Per Inch: 117 ppi
    http://www.cnet.com/products/asus-pb...itor-25/specs/

4. ASUS 27" MG279Q LED Monitor - IPS Panel
    True Resolution : 2560x1440
    Pixel Pitch : 0.233mm
    https://www.asus.com/Monitors/MG279Q/specifications/

5. ASUS 27" MX27AQ LED Monitor -- AH-IPS Panel
    2560 x 1440 WQHD resolution
    VividPixel Technology
    https://www.asus.com/Monitors/MX27AQ/

Any comment? Thanks

There is not much difference in price between 4K and 2K, same size. I'm only concerned for reading documents and web browsing which of them will be suitable for my use. I don't game nor do graphic editing.

Regards
    satimis

FWIW, while viewing a webpage in most internet browsers (that run on Windows), simply press [Ctrl][+] a few times to increase the size, or [Ctrl][-] to decrease it. You can also hold down [Ctrl] while scrolling the mouse wheel forward (away from you) to increase the size and [Ctrl] scroll back (towards you) to decrease the size.

As far as the above monitors go, more often than not I usually select a Dell. Here's a Newegg side-by-side comparision page of all of the above monitors.

FWIW, while viewing a webpage in most internet browsers (that run on Windows), simply press [Ctrl][+] a few times to increase the size, or [Ctrl][-] to decrease it. You can also hold down [Ctrl] while scrolling the mouse wheel forward (away from you) to increase the size and [Ctrl] scroll back (towards you) to decrease the size.

As far as the above monitors go, more often than not I usually select a Dell. Here's a Newegg side-by-side comparision page of all of the above monitors.
    Thanks for your advice and link.

What is your opinion on curved monitor which is quite interested to me? However a 34" curved monitor will be too big for desktop. Is there a curved monitor with size about 25"?

satimis

Haven't had any experience with curved monitors yet. I did see some large curved monitors on Newegg yesterday, but that's all I know. You might try Google.
    For 2K curved monitors all of them searched by me on Newegg are big size monitors >29". Such a size would be too big for desktop. If I can't find a 2K curved monitor fitted for my desktop most likely I would purchase;
    Dell U2515H 25"
    2560 x 1440,60Hz
    ISP panel

Regards
    satimis