question... su: user root does not exist?

Thread: question... su: user root does not exist?

question... su: user root does not exist?

Hello All

im not a "hardcore" linux user (newb) ...so i have a regular user ( login with that user) , couple day ago i need to add/install additional apps with root privileged this what i get
    Code:
    su: user root does not exist
    what caused this ?

not being ungrateful or something like that, but yes.. Googling is my first step and i did follow step mention in article.
    My problem is and that why i posted a question, none of the solution mention on the serp worked

but anyway i really appreciate it

From the first Google hit:
    In Linux (and Unix in general), there is a SuperUser named Root. The Windows equivalent of Root is Administrators group. The SuperUser can do anything and everything, and thus doing daily work as the SuperUser can be dangerous. You could type a command incorrectly and destroy the system. Ideally, you run as a user that has only the privileges needed for the task at hand. In some cases, this is necessarily Root, but most of the time it is a regular user.

By default, the Root account password is locked in Ubuntu. This means that you cannot login as Root directly or use the su command to become the Root user. However, since the Root account physically exists it is still possible to run programs with root-level privileges. This is where sudo comes in - it allows authorized users (normally "Administrative" users; for further information please refer to AddUsersHowto) to run certain programs as Root without having to know the root password.

This means that in the terminal you should use sudo for commands that require root privileges; simply prepend sudo to all the commands you would normally run as Root. For more extensive usage examples, please see below. Similarly, when you run GUI programs that require root privileges (e.g. the network configuration applet), use graphical sudo and you will also be prompted for a password (more below). Just remember, when sudo asks for a password, it needs YOUR USER password, and not the Root account password.

Most main stream distros for security reasons have removed the root user account. A normal user can execute certain privileged commands by preceding these command with "sudo". This is a bit of inconvenience but works for the majority and certainly makes Linux a safer operating system ahead of the others.

For hardcore Linux users wishing to work with root they can try the smaller distros like Puppy, Pmagic,.... etc.
    Linux user started Jun 2004 - No. 361921
    Using a Linux live CD to clone XP
    To install Linux and keep Windows MBR untouched
    Adding extra Linux & Doing it in a lazy way
    A Grub menu booting 100+ systems & A "Howto" to install and boot 145 systems
    Just cloning tips Just booting tips A collection of booting tips

Judge asked Linux "You are being charged murdering Windoze by stabbing its heart with a weapon, what was it?" Replied Linux "A Live CD"