NTFS and linux.

Thread: NTFS and linux.

NTFS and linux.

hi

I installed, mandrake 8.2 on a 6 gig drive (ext3) and i now want to write at my NTFS paratition (40 gig) there are some data i wanne use (see and here ).
    but i cant write to that paratition. i already found out on http://linux-ntfs.sf.net that its not able yet to write on ntfs paratitions cuz it has to be coded. so i thought, is it possible to change this ntfs to ext3 ? in linux.. dont have windows.

Someone got an idea to can write/convert to ntfs/ext3, whitout losing data ?
    Why use windows when there is free and opensource (linux)

How come you have ntfs drive if you are not usig windows... humhum

Well linux can write to ntfs. Look into file "/usr/src/linux/.config". Now the linux dir might have different name like linux-2.4.17 or something. Check the file .config (eq. "grep NTFS /usr/src/linux/.config") and see what it says on point CONFIG_NTFS_RW. Not set is not set and you need recompile kernel or modules, m means module and y means its loaded.

However since using write on ntfs is NOT recommended, i suggest you copy the info out of the drive and reformat it to ext3 if that is what you want to use. Then recopy info back to drive. I think you can use Partition Magic (commercial software) to resize the drive and save data on itself, but i haven't used partition magic.
    I can always be wrong...

Never argue with an idiot.
    They drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.

heheh

arent there no paratition mangeres for linux that can resize ?
    if you know one, plz let me know

tnx
    Why use windows when there is free and opensource (linux)

GNU Parted which is available from freshmeat.net
    SEARCH FIRST... ASK SECOND Read the JL 'Community Help Posting Guidelines' before posting in the forums.

Precompiled Redhat NTFS Modules

Linuxplanet Tutorials

If Linux doesn't have the solution, you have the wrong problem. ... Please do not send me a PM asking for help...

Please read the search suggestion thread in JL Ideas