installing a modem.....wtf?

Thread: installing a modem.....wtf?

installing a modem.....wtf?

i cant figure out how to install my modem. i am using redhat6.1 and im pretty sure it isnt a winmodem. The modem is also a pci. I also havent configured my video hardware so i cant run X so i will need to know how to install the modem without any gui.

Thanks you.....

------------------
    -fobia
    -fobia

If it's a PCI modem, it's a WinModem. Linux won't use it. Sorry. Get an ISA or External modem

i would have to disagree, just cause its a pci modem, does not necaserily mean its a winmodem, but just looking at modem properties in windows and seeing that it doesnt say Win after the modem also doesnt mean its a winmodem, check out your manual.

Also, if u are using Redhat, then when u installed it, you probably instaled WVdial. It works from a sehll. Just type in wvdial as command.

ok i checked the manual and nothing stated software driven aka winmodem. I did get this out of the manual -"Compression,line control, and error control are implimented in hardware. Therefore, no special drivers or libraries and need to take advantage of heigher speeds of data reliability".- does that mean it isnt??? Can someone please help me to figuer out if this modem will work in linux?

Thanks in advance!!!!!

------------------
    -fobia
    -fobia

check here www.56k.com