@home/network help needed

Thread: @home/network help needed

@home/network help needed

I am running RH 7.x and I am having a few problems. First, when booting up linux I have to do a interactive startup. I do this because it freezes when trying to startup Network, why?

I have two ethernet cards that are not set up. I have not been able to get either one going. How do I get at least one running? They are both NetGear.

I think after I get these problems fixed I'll be able to get the cable going. Thanks for any help!

[ 03 March 2001: Message edited by: hatred ]

Are they PCI or ISA? Have you checked the RH hardware compatability list for the nics?

If PCI, they try turning off 'PnP OS' in the BIOS.

Read the Networking NHF's here http://www.linuxnewbie.org/nhf/intel/network/index.html

Post back with more info.

Originally posted by mdwatts:
    Are they PCI or ISA? Have you checked the RH hardware compatability list for the nics?

If PCI, they try turning off 'PnP OS' in the BIOS.

Read the Networking NHF's here http://www.linuxnewbie.org/nhf/intel/network/index.html

Post back with more info.
    They are both PCI. The one I want to use with my cable modem is supported, the other one(a newer version) is not listed.

Pnp has been turned off. I no longer have a problem at startup, but still can't get online. Right now I am not sure if my problem is hardware or the way I have my network set. Is there a way to check to see if my etho card is working without being able to ping?

Also, how do I find the ips of @home's 2 DNS servers?

:/ thanks

I've got @home, working with Linux Mandrake 7.0. Call their tech support and they will tell you all the info you will need to put into your network setup.

Also, the network card is recognized by Linux if it loads its driver at bootup. You can check this by typing this at commandline:

dmesg | less

You'll have to sift around and look for something like looks like the driver for your card. It will be at the beginning of a newline, if that helps any. I don't know of another way to tell if your card is recognized without being able to ping.

Good luck!
    Steve Peters
    Illinois Tech
    http://www.iit.edu/~peteste/

as a user do

/sbin/ifconfig and see what it says. It should have a section for

eth0 (or another #) and then info to the left and

lo and info to the left

If there's no eth0 then try "/sbin/ifconfig eth0" up and see if that brings the card up.

If you've got an eth(x) where x is a number in your ifconfig, do a /sbin/pump, this will pump the modem for the IP address and all the info you need. You should then be able to surf at will. As long as the card is working, AT&T@home is easy. I had it for a long time until I moved. Hope this help

stingray72
    "Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional!"

ooops mistype sorry......

"/sbin/ifconfig eth0 up" if you don't see any eth statement when you do "/sbin/ifconfig"

sorry
    "Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional!"

Here is what mine tells me at boot up, maybe this will help you find your nic driver in dmesg... yours will probably start with eth0, or another eth that you set your card up with

eth0: 3Com 3c900 Cyclone 10Mbps TPO ....etc
    Steve Peters
    Illinois Tech
    http://www.iit.edu/~peteste/

grrrrr

When I type dmesg i get- eth0: Lite-On 82c168 PNIC rev 32...
    eth0:MII transceiver #1...

WTF is Lite-On? Shouldn't it say NETGEAR?

I try /sbin/pump and it says Operation Failed.

Does my NIC look like it's setup right? Any other ideas?

actually you want:

/sbin/ifup eth0

some of those commands you must run as root. So su to root and try again.

[ 04 March 2001: Message edited by: veloctTX ]
    Scarlet: Oh Rhett!! I'm using Slackware now.
    Rhett: Frankly my dear, I don't give a damn!!!