"lp0 on fire"

Thread: "lp0 on fire"

"lp0 on fire"

What does lp0 on fire mean... i did a dmesg and that was the last thing it said.

I'm having problems getting my epson800 to work, I have the new 2.4.3 kernel and I have all the proper setting on for my printer. I had recently updated the LPR rpms from off the caldera site... I tried going back to the old ones... it still didn't print. ( by the way... it didn't print with the old LPR rpms).

I'm going through a zip drive... and the zip drive works. I've tried editing my /etc/printcap to lp1 (originally it was set to lp0... wich is what I have changed it back to). I went into the coas, removed the old epson and lp0 and reset it up (using the epson stylus color 800 and lp0 (also tried it with lp1)).

When i go to print something in star office it says the everything printer succesfully but nothing happens to my printer. It doesn't initialize on startup or do anything when i turn it off.

When i start the computer i see a bunch of lpd things and ps aux shows that the daemons are running and dmesg shows that printer things are go.

Anywho... please help me to get my printer running... and what does lp0 on fire mean.

Thanks again,
    -Will
    TUNA... TUNA: TUNA! TUNA? TUNA, TUNA; TUNA.

lp0 is your parallel port

1. Is lp0 on fire? If so, shut off your computer immediately, then if possible, beat out the flame with a fire-retardant blanket. If not possible, use water or a fire extinguisher after unplugging the computer (or flipping the breaker), but be aware that this may cause permanent hardware damage.

2. If lp0 is not on fire, then check the status of your printer. Make sure it's actually turned on, and on-line. Linux will spit out that error if your printer is on PAUSE, if it's out of paper, or if it's otherwise indicating an error code.

3. If everything seems fine with your printer, and you've double checked to make sure the port itself is really not on fire, then make sure the port isn't disabled in BIOS, that there are no IRQ conflicts, and that support for the parallel port is compiled into the kernel (that's standard, but you could have compiled your own kernel and accidently removed support without realizing it).

4. If everything seems fine, try setting your port to a different mode in BIOS (just fiddle around), test the printer on another computer to make sure it's fully functional, or try a different known-good printer with your machine, to try to isolate further where the problem is.

5. If all else fails, check once again to make sure that lp0 is not on fire. Signs that lp0 are on fire might include:

a. A smokey substance coming from lp0

b. Elevated ambient temperature in the room

c. A high-pitched noise coming from smoke alarms in the vicinity

d. Flame coming from lp0

e. "lp0 on fire" error messages

f. The smell of burnt plastic

g. Warping or burning of the computer case or other components

[ 10 April 2001: Message edited by: Craig McPherson ]

lol, came across this on Stumbleupon and thought the rest of the community might enjoy a laugh from it.

*bump*
    Where are we going and why am I in this handbasket?
    (No trees were killed in posting this message. However, a large number of electrons were seriously inconvenienced.)
    ----------------------------------
    Debian user since Potato
    Syngin: Web Portfolio

<voice type=cartoon inflection="Elmer Fudd">
    I'm on fiiiwre
    </voice>