active desktop for Linux?

Thread: active desktop for Linux?

danr Guest

active desktop for Linux?

I would like to have a web page on my desktop, kind of like active desktop in Windows. I do not need to be able to click on links, it can just be static information (I want to send the Big Brother output to the desktop).

I know how to send text to the root window, and I know how to send images to the root window, but I do not know how to combine the two. Does anyone know how I can grab the text and images from a web page and convert the whole thing into an image so that I can then pop the image onto the root window? If I can do that then I would just run a cron job to repeat the process every five minutes.

Thanks,
    Dan

On that note, would anyone know how to get an "Active Desktop" effect with Fluxbox? I want to have a web cam stream displayed on my root window.

Thanks!
    Superhands...

on the webcam: run a script to do wget image && bsetbg image and loop it for every x minutes or seconds.

active desktop: got me.
    irc.freenode.net #justlinux The Not So Official JL IRC Channel.
    ¤ Debian ¤ Apt-Get ¤

Thanks for the info, but bsetbg overrides my existing wallpaper with the entire web cam image (which is only 320x240 in size).

Is there a way to get bsetbg or even Esetroot to just display the image on top of my current wallpaper?

I'm guessing SuperKaramba can do this, but there's no way in hell I'm going to give up Flux and go back to KDE...
    Superhands...

You could probably use Nautilus in GNOME for a similar effect, probably not the best idea.

When mozilla firebird comes out, I expect a few new ones to come out that will be really good.
    friend: first, it takes 2 minutes to load google; second, it take another 2 minutes to search for something; and third, once it finally stops searching, the Search Results pages come out screwed up (where it shows the google logo up top, the search form, and then some random characters like "[47]GGH9")
    zdude255: nope
    friend: damn...
    zdude255: all your viruses are belong to you
    friend: ...
    friend: not funny

You can set KDE to load a web page as the background. Select backgound program as a background and choose kwebdesktop as the program. If you don't use KDE you can probably still use kwebdesktop as this saves a png of the webpage, which you'll have to load into the root window yourself.