Enlightenment Upgrade.....

Thread: Enlightenment Upgrade.....

krylos Guest

Enlightenment Upgrade.....

YO!
    This is a newbie question for sure, so speak to me like Im a 2 year old. I burned E16 onto a cd from a windows computer and I want to install it on my linux box.
    I have RH6.2 so I did
    rpm -ivh enlightenment-0.16.3-1.src.rpm
    it returned ##########.... and didnt give me any errors. I figured, Hey I may have actually done something right. But obviously I was mistaken, because when I did rpm -q enlightenment, it said that I was still running 15.1. I didnt know where else to turn but here.
    Another question though... just in case. I also have a theme that I want to install once I get E16 on there. I'll probably screw this up, too if I dont get instructions from you guys. I also have the GTK theme that goes with the E theme, so instructions for installing that would be pretty cool too.
    Any help with any of these problems is greatly apreciated.

------------------
    krylos

"When linux is outlawed, only outlaws will have linux."
    NetCrack

CRT_Monkey Guest
    If your upgrading than you should be typing rpm -U filename.rpm <enter>

Hope this works for ya.

also it might help to use the rpm file ending in .i386.rpm. That's what works for me.

veloctTX Guest
    1) The rpm you got is the source rpm so you will have to compile it.

2) rpm -Uvh <filename> is what you need to upgrade a package.

krylos Guest
    Allright, I tried the -U tag and had the same problem. No errors were reported but when I -q'ed it said I was still running E15. Is there something else I have to do?

------------------
    krylos

NetCrack

Strike Guest
    Yes, read veloctTX's first message - you got the source RPM (meaning the source code, not the binaries). You want the binary RPMs. Try and find the one that ends in .i386.rpm and do a rpm -Uvh on that instead.

krylos Guest
    cool, thanx a lot... Does n e one have any answers to my other questions?

------------------
    krylos

NetCrack

veloctTX Guest
    For the E theme: in your user's home directory you'll have a .enlightenment folder and within it there should be a folder named themes. Just put the theme on there, restart E and it should show as an option under themes.

For the GTK theme: that's a gnome theme. Open the gnome control center and look for the themes tab. There is a button that will install the theme for you, all you have to do is point it to where you saved the theme.

If you look in rpmfind.net, you should be able to find a copy of an enlightenment rpm for redhat.

That should work. Good luck.

krylos Guest
    Sorry to post again but I think that I forgot to mention one thing... This is the best friggin' message board on the internet! Everything that I asked about works now. Thank you to everyone who replied.

------------------
    krylos

NetCrack

Strike Guest
    You don't have to restart E to get the theme listing there. Just do "Regenerate Menus" under the "Maintenance" menu and it will fix it all up without you having to leave Enlightenment (and killing all the X apps you are running ... bleh)

veloctTX Guest
    Hmmm, when I hit "restart enlightenment" it doesn't close E and reopens it. It almost looks as it reinitializes it. Maybe I wasn't clear, I am not login out and then login in, I just hit the restart Enlightenment option.